What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Kong on DVD today 3/30

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I picked up the 2 disk King Kong DVD today. I haven't seen the B/W version since I was a very little kid. On saturday afternoons they used to play the old B/W godzilla and classic monster matinee movies. I don't remember the story of the original one(s) but I'll tell you this Skull island one typifies everything I hate about th 19th and 20th century explorers, circuses, "great white hunters", and the people who clap for that sort of thing. Because of my objection to so much of that I really found it hard to enjoy the movie despite the great effects. Anyone else feel that way?

Maybe I over analyse too much...
smile_n_32.gif

I loved that movie! As a remake, it's got the plot quality of a 1933 movie, but what Peter Jackson did with that is just amazing. I see what you mean with explorer thing. You get a pretty good idea of the 19th century mindset, but you don't walk away liking it. I think the point of the movie is to show what society does to beauty it doesn't understand. It's sad, yes, but the movie was really well made and I'd watch it again.

Peter

saw it in the theater, i liked it wife didnt though i think the 3 hours in the theater seating had alot to do with it. our couch would have been a much better viewing spot. it started out really slow i thought but once they hit the island things picked up fast. i want to buy the DVD but im going to have to sneak it past the wife. awsome effects. Jack Black was surprisingly good in his role(i do like his acting but this role, or one like it, isnt one i pictured him doing), couldnt understand why they originally cast him but he did an excellent job

Here's a bit of trivia - in Denmark, the word 'king' is actually 'kong'. So that they don't call the film 'King King', the film is called 'Kong King' over there
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'll tell you this Skull island one typifies everything I hate about th 19th and 20th century explorers, circuses, "great white hunters", and the people who clap for that sort of thing. Because of my objection to so much of that I really found it hard to enjoy the movie despite the great effects. Anyone else feel that way?
I haven't seen the new one, but like Rubra said, I think that was the point. If you were uncomfortable, it means you got it. You were supposed to be uncomfortable.

You know, the whole "Kong is the monster" / "man is the monster" reversal. That's why it lived on as a classic rather than being some forgetable old horror movie.

EDIT: Oh wait, I believe it was originally based on a book. That'd be why there's an actual meaning underneath.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jack Black was surprisingly good in his role(i do like his acting but this role, or one like it, isnt one i pictured him doing), couldnt understand why they originally cast him but he did an excellent job
Again, I haven't seen it, but when I heard he was cast for it I knew he was perfect. He's a showman to his very core. He'll put 150% into everything he does, and somehow, through sheer will, he makes that over-the-top-ness work. He takes it all so seriously you can't really help but do the same.

It kinda reminds me of Adam West in the old Batman show. He'd put so much sincerity into these unbelievably silly lines, and somehow you'd end up right there next to him going, "Yeah! We have to destroy the superdehydrator for the good of mankind!"

So, yeah, Jack Black kind of embodies what that character is all about. Putting every iota of energy into the spectacle without a trace of hesitation or doubt.

I think I'm over-analyzing too.
smile.gif

This is the second remake of this(there was one in the 80s with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange).
I have seen all three, but yes, the movie still makes me sad in the end, as the end is always the same.
There was some good effects, but did anybody else think the stampede scene(trying not to reveal too much) was a bit sub-par compared to the rest of the effects?
I think Jackson has achieved the "Spielberg" type of fame that Mr. Spileberg enjoyed in the 80s. If Jackson directs a movie, it might steer you towards seeing it.

Cheers,

Joe

Back