What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just purchased two lowlands

I'm giving ampullaria and bicalcarata a go.

I'm aware of how big these plants go - I hope they do get that big and I have that particular problem (cuttings anyone?)

Anyway, the one thing I want to really make sure I do right is keep the temperature at a steady 85 or so. I live in Nebraska where the temperatures are freezing in the winter, so the house temperature is usually around 65-70. I know that's too cold for them. So I'm looking for alternatives. Would getting a heating pad (like you would use for a snake) under the terrarium be a good idea? Has anyone had any experience in artificially warming the terrarium? A heat rock (probably too localized)?

Thanks.

65-70 is just fine for lowlanders........if your ambient is 70 then when your lighting is on it should bump it up to about 75 inside your terrarium via greenhouse effect. there is alot of misconception that it has to be stifling for them and that is just plain wrong....they can tolerate triple digit temps but if your humidity isn't adequate when you have it set at 100 degrees in there then you will have BIG problems.

Windowsills will easily keep a terrarium in the 80s even in winter.

didn't have the time before but personally I have about 4 inches of water in my LL terrarium so I use a submersible heater which keeps the base temp at 75 as well as help produce decent humidity. but an under terrarium heating pad should work but have never tried it.

A word of advice on bical. It starts off easy when small. As it becomes larger it requires increasingly higher temps and humidity. This can become a challenge once it starts vining.

Back