What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got a new tracfone....

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have been using the cheapest of the cheap tracfone, and texting is tedious and annoying. So I requested a new phone, one with a QWERTY keyboard, so I don't have to press a number, various times, to get a single letter. (T-9 is also annoying!). do I have to get a new phone number and redo my contacts, or can the info be transferred to the new phone?

Mobile phone numbers should be portable to other providers or contracts. Contracts should be avoided if at all possible. If your contacts are stored on the chip they should move over when you put the old chip into the new phone.

Last edited:
I went to call my wife with my 'old' phone and now it says that it's for emergency calls only, as well as having an unregistered SIM card. I thought maybe the new one is now up and running. It isn't screen says it needs to be activated. But that's exactly what I did, when I followed instructions, with various codes, to transfer my phone number to the new phone. So I called my number, using the land line an it automatically transferred me to voice mail, to leave a message. In essence, I now have to non-working phones. I'll just have to Tracfone and hopefully talk to a real person.... Oy!

Ah welcome to the world of cheap pay as you go phone plans! Your number is probably being ported right now. This usually takes between 2hours and 2 days.

I use Straight talk wireless, which is a branch of tracphone. I love the bill compared to our old subscription based plan, but the customer service makes me wanna gouge my eyeballs out sometimes.

How does a cell phone know the difference between an emergency phone call and a casual one? Looks like I'll have to attempt to talk to a human to resolve this!

You'll only be able to dial out on 911 on the old phone.

Jim I've got one of those also.

I splurged and got the LG "Webfone" what a piece of junk. It's fine for a phone call but I can't even get on mobile versions of websites, forget about regular websites. Sometimes I can receive and open texts with images attached, sometimes I can't...

LOL! Unlike most 'normal' people, the cell phone hasn't become a centralized source of information. I'm really just using to send and receive actual phone calls, with the occasional text. No Candy Crush for me! I still have to call a tech to get this resolved.

I was going to investigate why the new phone wasn't activated, but the message to do so went away. I tried a test call to our land line number. It rang. It just took a few days to ge through their system. Now I've got to transfer all of my contacts and get used to how this phone functions.

LOL! Unlike most 'normal' people, the cell phone hasn't become a centralized source of information. I'm really just using to send and receive actual phone calls, with the occasional text. No Candy Crush for me!

Yes for me too, I'm no gamer. I just wanted a "webphone" so I could look at websites when I'm out and make judgement calls on what to bring home and sell on eBay. I see people with their fancy iPhones and similar devices doing that at the bookshops and record shops but mine is really only good for person to person phone calls. For that it gets used about once every month or three. LOL

I don't even have Internet on it!

Back