What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It came it came!!

Nice! I've got to get me one of these some day...
~Joe

I kept feeling that I was missing something in this thread, then it hit me - you plopped a just-received plant in with all of your others. That's something I just won't do anymore ... trying to get rid of pests can be a nightmare when a quarantine is fairly easy. Every month or so, someone mentions how much trouble they're having getting rid of pest XX. Here's a thread where Vraev actually recommended the following:
Holy God!! Those are a nightmare. I remember them a bit too well. I threw away 5 neps to prevent further spread. IMO...its not whitefly. I have had those insects for months and never ever did I spot a single adult whitefly. It is in my opinion a form of scale. The big ones in the first pic that are like greyish pink color are female. The white ones are male. THere are smaller ones which u cannot see which are crawlers that do a heck of a lot of damage in terms of spreading to neighboring plants. I think its called the cycad scale or something.
.... and Capslock added:
Oh the humanity! Those white things are a Hawaiian scale - and they are a nightmare. Honestly, my advice is to burn the plant. Seriously.
While I don't know where your seller is located, I do know he received some plants in late Oct from HI....

It came from the mainland.. I checked it out, it's clean.

Glad to hear that Mass. But try to keep a watch man. its easy to remove visible scale, but the crawlers can come back. I would still suggest bagging it up and watching it for a couple of weeks.

Also I notice that the scale thrive in high temps. I had the surges in summer. So unfortunately, they may just be dormant. However, I must say the plant looks in good health....but never hurts to be safe. If you have extra space, put it in a seperate tank or something. Just for safety.

Back