What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isn't a sabbatical 7 years?

Greetings to any PFT old-timers still around! It's been almost 7 years since i last had a carnivorous plant, and longer than that since i logged in to terraforums. But... i just ordered a few old favorites and a couple potential new friends off Ebay and am finding myself really excited about it, so when i vaguely remembered the seller as a member here, i came looking for my old account.
The plan for now is to focus on plants that have a good chance of thriving outdoors in Miami. The good news is that strategy allows for a lot more variety than it would have in Boston. :banana2:

As for what happened... aside from moving and life, i think it was losing all of the beautiful N. ampullaria red CR9 cuttings i had rooted, along with the parent plant and the few other plants i had brought with me, that put me off of CPs for so long. One little lapse of judgment about who to trust as a plant sitter... :(

Good growing

Greetings to any PFT old-timers still around! It's been almost 7 years since i last had a carnivorous plant, and longer than that since i logged in to terraforums. But... i just ordered a few old favorites and a couple potential new friends off Ebay and am finding myself really excited about it, so when i vaguely remembered the seller as a member here, i came looking for my old account.
The plan for now is to focus on plants that have a good chance of thriving outdoors in Miami. The good news is that strategy allows for a lot more variety than it would have in Boston. :banana2:

As for what happened... aside from moving and life, i think it was losing all of the beautiful N. ampullaria red CR9 cuttings i had rooted, along with the parent plant and the few other plants i had brought with me, that put me off of CPs for so long. One little lapse of judgment about who to trust as a plant sitter... :(

Good growing

I wish I could remember the quote, something like "Finding someone with the knowledge and conscientiousness to do that task well or at least adequately is an almost impossible ____________." The last word was task, paradigm, something like that... Like the concept someone asks you to housesit while they are on vacay, you tell them a rate, they balk, and you want to say, "Go ahead, hire the teenager next door who will throw a giant party and trash your house." "Or maybe not, your call."

That's why i'm researching automated watering systems. Technology has come a long way and i'm not going to leave plants dependent on a single human other than myself again. So far i plan on a simple capillary action setup (cheap ones online) and a timed automated pump for redundancy. Good thing CPs like water...

Longer term i think i am going to set up moisture probes in trays or more important plant pots and have web access so i can contact a friend for an emergency water visit in the case of double system failures.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Welcome back! You situation sounds similar to mine when I got out of the hobby a few years ago, losing a favorite plant really sucks.

Back