What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal ?

• Thread starter AmberRose
  • Start date
Since I am a compleat noob, can anyone tell me if this is normal ?
If it is, and I'm not killing it slowly, do you leave the pitcher on till it compleatly goes brown/ dies ? or do you remove it now ? and where do you remove it from ? leaf tip / or from bottom of pitcher ?

Sorry about all the question :blush:, but if you don't ask.....you don't know :hail:

IMG_0010.jpg

Pitchers all die eventually, although low humidity can quicken it, it is nothing to worry about. You can leave them on there as long as you want, or clip it off if its unsightly, although leaving it on means it will provide nutrients for as logn as possible. Feel free to clip it off anywhere, the safe can be done with old leaves!

this is perectly normal for older pitchers. almost always starts from the top and i do not remove the pitcher until the bottom of the pitcher is brown.

and a belated welcome to TF :D nice seeing new faces even though I, too, am still a fairly new face around here :p

Yay, so I'm not killing it :boogie:, thanks guys !!

Thanks mylesg :D

A good rule of thumb I picked up from some fellow CP growers is: if you can't stand looking at it anymore, then cut it off. It's often best to cut it off at the tip of the leaf, taking the entire tendril, otherwise the leaf just stays with an unsightly appendage that occasionally gets in the way and ends up rotting away anyways.
And PS, you're signature is one of my absolutely FAVORITE quotes!!!! :D (I love dragons, :boogie: )

If you trim it just remove the pitcher and stem. The large leaf petiole actually does photosynthesis duty. Indeed under adverse conditions or if fertilized enough the plants will stop pitcher production and grow like any other plant.

Back