What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to promote vine growth on a nepenthes alata?

My nepenthes alata has begun to outgrow the terrarium I have it in. In the 8 months I've had this plant it's grown over a foot tall. It's getting too big and crowding the other plants I have in there. I don't really want to trim it because I have nowhere to propagate cuttings and even if I did, I fear the cuttings would become another monster I would have no space for. However, if I could promote vining I could deal with that instead of the entire plant shooting out. I've looked everywhere for tips and only find general care information. I'm not even sure if this species can vine. And if alata can't vine, is there anyway I could slow the plant down or deal with its size in an apartment?IMG_20221202_160909859.jpg I would put it outside, but it's winter here and it definitely wouldn't last out there. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

None I know of... but I bet that plant could acclimate to the room if you just have it grow out of the tank and remove the plastic cover (unless there is something in there more demanding of humidity. I have a two threads on here showcasing Nepenthes that I just have growing in my living area.

Sadly I have some sundews and pings that would dry up if they didn't stay above 80%. Since you suggested acclimating to the room I can try and work something out. Appreciate the help

I don't grow many Pinguicula other than Mexican pings but I grow them fine also in room conditions for most. Drosera can typically be more picky. You could leave the Nepenthes in the tank as is and let it continue to grow out that way you don't have to change anything.

I don't grow many Pinguicula other than Mexican pings but I grow them fine also in room conditions for most. Drosera can typically be more picky. You could leave the Nepenthes in the tank as is and let it continue to grow out that way you don't have to change anything.
I think I'm going to combine both your ideas of letting it grow, but also acclimating it to the room humidity so I can transition the plant out of there while leaving the other ones alone. Ill let it grow for a month or so as is so that the plant gets used to the room humidity. My goal is hopefully by mid January I can transition the plant to it's own pot. Fingers crossed the change in humidity causes the plant to slow down a bit. So to properly acclimate it, does the entire plant need to be exposed to the new humidity, or are just the exposed parts enough and that'll acclimate it? Thanks

Good question! I've never done such a thing but since it seems new growth is often what seems to show it is not happy with a move I would think it will help!

"ventrata" (graciliflora x ventricosa), not an alata. The most bomb-proof of the Nepenthes out there, and at that size it's well beyond large enough to be put in its own pot (and the long you wait, the harder it will be to untangle roots from multiple plants under the surface.

lol I didn't even look at the pitchers! hcarlton always catches those :p
N. x ventrata is one of the ones I mentioned that I grow inside... My house Nep (N. x ventrata)

Back