What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside Arum cornutum

Hey folks one of my favorite flowers has bloomed so I have decided to dissect the fading bloom so we can all see what secrets lie within the aroid Arum cornutum or "Voodoo Lilly". There are several synonyms/renames of this plant, they're likely all this one.

Enjoy the ugliness!

acornutum1.jpg

Dissection and growing info:

http://www.nepentheshouse.com/growlist/arumcornutum.htm

smile_k_ani_32.gif
I love it ~in all it's stinkin beauty, thank you for the play by play.
San Francisco flower conservatory i think it was march eighth of last year*
Titan Arum 10 years old, 5 ft tall , potato like root weighed in at 44 pounds alone. when its hood unfurled the deep red bloom like yours in color ~ smelled its worse on day #2 they called it ted the titan, i called it stinky dirty sock boy. peeuu

This one (and the other which I have left to wither unvandalised) didn't stink very much. On saturday morning when I put my nose into the freshly peeled spathe it had a faint smell of a rubber mask but it wasn't too bad. Of course, I always have inscence going in my place anyway so it may have masked a smell I didn't notice.
biggrin.gif

Last summer I decided to open up a very old Nep pitcher to see if it actually had anything in it. Incredibly, I found yellow jackets. I never ever see anything get caught. It's like they do their thing purposely when I'm not looking!
confused.gif

Ah yes, the beloved Arum cornutm (old old name btw, it is now Typhonium venosum) It has a powerful wicked sweet smelling toxic scent. It made me dizzy because I was sniffing it for hours
smile_m_32.gif

Back