What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on these seeds

• Thread starter Superhero
  • Start date
Hi all, I have a bunch of seeds that I'm finally ready to sow. I got them from the friendly guy who runs (ran?) www.growsundews.com. I have had them since 2011. They've been hauled all around the US for the last few years, but I've finally settled in enough to pop them. I was wondering if anyone had any experience growing any of these from seed. I've found some videos and other basic articles, but the amount of information often seems a bit limited. I read what's available at the sundew site, but was hoping there would be more elsewhere. Might be some spelling errors - the labels for the seeds are handwritten and small.

D. natalensis
D. brevifolia
D. sp. "Floating" - no idea about this one
D. spatulata "Tamlia"
D. nidiformis
D. burmanii (humpty-doo, NT, Aus) "Red"
D. burmanii, green, typical
D. indica "PPF"
D. admirabilis (ceres, R.S.A.)
D. oblanieolata
D. sp. "Lantan Island Hubrid"
D. aliciae

Last edited:
D. indica and burmannii will do better in warm temperatures (80+F) while D. brevifolia may require cold stratification (not sure about this.) The rest need no treatment.

Also some spelling corrections: "Tamlia" is "Tamlin", D. oblaniolata is D. oblanceolata, and "Lantan Island Hubrid" is "Lantau Island" (thought to be oblanceolata x spatulata) D. sp. "Floating" was an early name for D. admirabilis and should be the same thing, just might be a different location form.

Last edited:
All of those are sub-tropical/tropical with the exception of D. brevifolia (although can be found in sub-tropical environments).

None of them need special treatment really. The D. indica might benefit from smoke or GA3 treatment but should germinate without it. It might be late in the season to start D. indica which are annuals and like warm/hot sunny weather.

Aaron's growsundews site should have germination tips on most of those.

Just sow them onto chopped LFS or a peat/sand mix, bag them up in baggies or cover the pots with plastic wrap put them under lights and keep 'em wet and they should go. If you germinate them on chopped LFS you may want to repot them later to peat/sand or peat/perlite.

If you are going to germinate them outdoors or in direct sunlight I would not bag or cover the cups/pots.

BTW: green may not be "typical" for D. burmannii. When Ivan Snyder collected material outside the Beerwah State Forest he said the sundews were all sorts of colors. He collected material from the largest plant he could find which just happened to be green.

Last edited:
D. brevifolia does not need any sort of stratification, but often times the seeds will just take a long time to germinate.

D. indica germinates without any special treatment and does best in a tropical (warm and humid) setting. Feed early and often.

Back