What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indoor Growing!

Hi...i would like imformation invovling growing venuus fly traps indoor using hydroponics. first all i would like the best way to plant vft's in..such as a simple plastic pot...or an aquiruim etc...also i would like to know the best mixture of soil for the plant...also the best lighting arrangment....ph level...wat type of food to give the plant...etc. thank you

noo buddy listen up...i would like to know where to keep my venus fly trap such as a common plastic pot or whatever...next i want a soil best for the vfp's...and the best types of light such as 1 bulb per plant and wat kind of light there are soo many types!!! also wat to feed them i grow other plants and wanna know wat they like as food in there water...

oo and by the way im not growing them on water...im growing them indoors for now then putting them outsided here and there to get natural food! basically heres my list
1) best type of container to grow vft's
2) best soil (mixture of some sort) or one single coil
3) best type of artificial light
4)best food for the plant...like a type of additive you give in the water or something
5) humidity level vft's pefer...i know thanks to you they like 6ph...
and for leaf cuttings...you peel away a leaf right to its whitish root beneath the soil...i uunderstand that part...but how do you plant the leaf cutting whitish part in the soil with leaf sticking straight up?

Container: plastic and three inches in diameter is good try to find a deep one though.
Soil: peat moss and perlite. Make sure its real peat moss though.
Type of light: 2 fluorescent bulbs placed 8 inches away from the plant
Food: never use plant food use the bug a month plan
Humidity: 40%+

well u said u were gonna grow them using hydroponics!

hydroponics is the act of growing plants in a nutrient solution.

Growing them indoors is called... well, growing them indoors!
smile.gif

alright thank you for the information...although i still have several more question to ask...you know that idea where you put peat moss in a cloth and dip the tea bag of peat moss in the water and then it turns the ph to 6 or so well is that true and good? because i have ph down and up i can make a water a certain ph without using that technique. next describe the best way to produce more fly traps!

here you go: i got it from this other thread in general discussions:

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=1&topic=210

includes egwhites to feed the plant too hehe

i copyied and pasted from there

So now you have come to the Tea and Eggwhites

Although I have not played with giving my plants eggwhites ( that would be the clear part of the egg-just not the yolk- the yellow part )

Many people have...

They suggest do NOT give to Nepenthes ...the pitchers can't handle it.

However you can do this for the Sundews, Butterworts, VFT's and Sarracenia.

You boil an egg. Take only the white part. LITTLE PIECES ONLY- not too much.

Then feed your plant with it.

The only problem with the VFt's are they need continued movement to start the digestive process. So I am about to conduct a little test on mine. This is what I plan to do:

Feed it the eggwhite ( not too much !! )

2-3 times a day...I am going to 'giggle' the trap ( to make the plant think that it is a bug ). I am hoping it works. As I am looking for more ways NOT TO KILL any bugs.

The Tea:

You need:

a cheese cloth or pantyhose
a plastic container of some kind ( milk jug tea pitcher that is clear )
Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss

Pack the peat moss into the panty hose or cheescloth. ( Like you are making a TEA BAG )

Then fill the pitcher/jug up with water.

Place the 'tea bag' in the water.

Sit it outside and allow to 'brew'

This will create water with great acidic content ( since the peat moss is very acidic )

Feed this water to your plant.

By doing this you have just 'goosed' the soil with more acidity. The plant will love it! This is a great thing to do in place of repotting ( which I try my best to talk people out of

SUPERTHRIVE !!

This is something that people have also played with ( I have too, but haven't noticed much difference with my plants )

You can find it at almost every garden center...it is in a little brown bottle with a yellow label.

You can mix it up at 1/4 the strength the directions say...too much will hurt the plant. Very weak is best. Then you can get a Q-tip and dab a little in the mouth of the Flytrap.

Many people have had great success with doing this.

Hope this helps!
Give it a try somtime when you have the time!

I think you may be jumping a head of yourself. Try to grow one first , you will learn a lot that way. As for the tea you only need to do that with old plants that have been in the same soil or a while.

alright thank you for the information!!! its very helpful...but the question i have is...i have ph ~down~ and ~up~ which you drop into water to lower and raise the ph level...can i just use that? and 6 is the right ph right?

Hi brandon,

1) Best container-any plastic or glazed ceramic container at least 3in.
2)Best soil-Peat:silica sand(1:1), peat:sand:perlite(2:1:1)
3)Best type of artificial light- 4 40watt light(flourescent tube-4ft) kept around 6in or less from the plant.
4)Best food-Insects such as ants for small flytraps and earwigs and flies(may rot trap). Daddy longlegs seems to rot the traps often, probably because the legs stick out creating a small airspace for bacteria etc. to enter.
Do not feed the flytraps anything not living. Chances are the trap will open again because there is not enough stimulation of the trigger hairs. Egg white, and hamburger meat may rot the traps. Even small pieces often cause black spots on the trap.
5)Humidity-at least 40%, preferably 55% to 80%.

You are right about the leaf cuttings.

Brandon,

Are there any chemicals in lowering your Ph? I wouldn't use something that would contain any type of chemical.

And I agree with the rest of the people. Lowering the Ph is something that can be done later.

How long have you had your plants? Have you ever repotted them?

And to answer your question about the number...I don't know at what point (1-10) is the best. I know you don't want something that is really alkanline (sp)...Higher than 6. If you can keep the number low...which if you have the plants in peatmoss/perlite ( or sand ) something that won't affect the Ph in the peatmoss ( which is to be acidic ) You should be cool.
smile.gif

I hope that helps. Let us know what else we can do for you!

Alright i am getting somwhere with these forum's! There really helpful... ok i have another question concerning leaf cuttings....now that is the best way to produce vft's or is there a better way besides going out and buying more! alright and lead cutting...
1) Pick strong mature leaf off the plant right to its whitish root conncecting to the buld of the plant
2) then wat do you do?
confused.gif
??? like you get the leaf and just insert the leaf into the dirt?
3)wat type of dirt?
4)wat type of humidity?
5)wat type of lighting?
6)forhow long?
7)wat am i looking for-for signs of life?
8)how long will this take? 9)
have many plants can i get from one leaf?
9) does this affect the plant?

Wow!!
smile.gif

Ok

1) you got it.  Strong leaf.  You want to pull down GENTLY so you get some of the white part, but do not really harm the plant

2) put it into dirt.  I guess you could some rootone ( rooting hormone ) or Superthrive

3) The dirt is the same as you have it planted in now.  Candanian Sphagnum Peat Moss ( ONLY)   We recommend Schultz brand.  Then mix that with perlite.  You can  60-40 or 50-50

4)  Good humidity.  Above 60%. It would be best to cover the cutting to allow for maximum humidity. That with some lighting should produce the plants for you.

5)  Lighting doesn't have to be real strong ( at least for me ). Low light to medium light. You don't need a lot.

6)  This takes from 6-8 weeks to produce babies

7)  You are looking for small plants to form around the bottom where you planted the leaf in the dirt.  They will be forming all around the leaf ( that is why you need the white part of the plant )

8)  reference #7
smile.gif

9)  This doesn't affect the plant.  As long as you don't pull off a lot of the white part ( which is the rhyzome/bulb).  Just be gentle about it.  YOu just need some and not all.

If you have more questions, please ask!
smile.gif

THANK YOU FOR THE VALUABLE INFORMATION!!!
however i have yet to stop asking questions lol!

alright so lets talk abotu bulbs...now my vft has a buld then growing out into a root...i understand that...but i heard you can sepearate the buld?? but first
1) how do you do it?
2) do you remold a part of the buld with its root?
3) wat conditions do i use wen they are transplanted...ph .humidity,etc levels??

if you are talking VFT bulbs...I wouldn't slit them.

Somtimes you can notice a 'new plant' growing. I would GENTLY break that part off.

Splitting the bulb can lead to many problems.

I would stick to cuttings, buying another plant or separating the babies.
smile.gif

when you transplant something, as long as you have the right soil, the Ph level should be fine, I wouldn't worry about that.

Humidity should be good ( greater than I say 60% ) as well as light( bright light, but not direct sun ).

Questions are what this is all about, ask away... I am sure you are asking some for others ( that haven't asked yet
smile.gif
)

Hope this helps

Hi...thanks again for all the information...but i would like to get crazy *** huge traps on my plants? how can i achieve that...i know part of larger traps is genetics but is there a way i can achieve larger leaves then i am already growing! thanks

super thrive? could that work?

The largest trap i've got is about one inch on my common VFT. They grow to a certain size, just faster, or more leaves, but not huge... They dont just keep growing and growing...

To get bigger traps takes time. The older the plant, the bigger the trap.

Some things you just can't rush.
smile.gif

The indoor growing techniques itself is called as the hydroponics.Here brandon is doing the discussion about his system so that procedure is quite interesting and informative as it explains the whole system here.

Back