What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Increased anthrocyanin expression - temperature

• Thread starter vraev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Increased anthocyanin expression - temperature

Hi guys,

Did anyone notice that as the temperatures grow colder, the color of the plants seems to get better? I noticed that in all 3 of the heli species I own. I also noticed it in a couple of neps that were light green before which are now becoming red.

I was just curious if others noticed this as well. My hypothesis was that the increased temperature increases the "nutrient uptake rate" within plants. Plants are readily able to utilize all the available light (Hence, the higher growth rate during the warmer periods of the year). However, as temperature goes down, the plant is unable to utilize the same quantity of nutrients as enzymes become less efficient at lower temperatures. Hence, in order to protect their internal organelles from excessive oxidative radicals that are produced during various biochemical reactions, it is upregulating anthrocyanin expression to reduce intake of lower wavelengths of the light spectrum which is increasing the red coloration in them. Definitely a connection as plants generally require some red light for growth and now red light is being reflected away.

What do you guys think?

Varun

Last edited:
Noticed it in my ceph....there really is a connection.

Either that or as the days get shorter and the daylight color temperatures shift towards red the leaves are absorbing more of the blue spectra to compensate.

hmmm....interesting idea...but I don't know if there is an increase in the intensity of the longer wavelengths as days get shorter.

I've definitely noticed this with both VFTs & Cephs. Interestingly, back in Oct, Andreas Fleischmann posted an explanation for this phenomenon (4th post).

****! lol! I have been beaten to it. lol!! Thought my hypothesis was novel with this observation that was made by other people as well. ALthough I guess my explanation about oxidative radicals seems unique. :p

This happened with my sarrs.
But my bog garden is super sunny in the fall, and has about 60% light in the summer. I thought that this could be causing that, too.

Back