What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In progress: Yage Brujo bowls

Here's the start of my latest art project. It's not clay but rather some gourds which I'm making into a Yage / Ayahausca / Nateema* brew serving bowl and cup set of course anything could be served in them. I decided I want a much bigger "serving bowl" so I'm waiting on an auction to arrive that's twice the size. The "cups" hold about a half pint each.

I've just cut the tops off today and scraped out the insides with a clay rake. They're bone dry but I'm still going to flame them inside and sandpeper the outside for a lighter base color. Then I'm going to paint designs on them with natural dyes made from Syrian Rue (P. harmala) and the Yage spiritvine itself (B. cappi) which should cause the designs to glow slightly in low light. :)

brujo2.jpg

brujo1.jpg

If anyone is studying peruvian/columbian archeology and artwork and has any sites they can direct me to for ancient SA indian design inspiration it'd be much appreciated!

*This is not an endorsement of drinking Yage, merely an art project I'm doing.

very interesting Swords! what exactly is Yage? cant wait to see the final product!

Yage, Ayahausca or "Nateema" (so called by the Jivaro head hunters/shrinkers) is a brew used by Brujos (medicine men) to commune with the spirits of the ancestors, gods and serpent / jaguar spirit guides. It's created by boiling the crushed woody jungle vine Banisteropsis caapi with generally at least one other plant, sometimes several, Yage mixes vary depending upon available plants in the region.

While it is legal to buy Yage ingredients found at any decent new age herbal shop it can make you quite sick if you eat poor foods or take any prescription medications. Yage can be bad because you must eat only fresh fruits, vegies and meats the days before and after drinking it and no caffine, chocolate or cheese. Like the foods, it can also turn medications toxic through MAOI effects of the vine so I don't suggest it to anyone but I am fascinated with the history of it. Been reading Ralph Metzner's book Ayahausca: The Sacred Vine of Spirits and William Burroughs' The Yage Letters, both of which inspired my new project.

wow sounds fascinating indeed! very very interesting stuff...thanks for the info.

Wow, that seems really interesting, Swords. Can't wait to see them done, I´m sure they'll look nice :D.

Those look awsome...I like 'em already. I love stuff like that.

Back