What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In need of more info!

• Thread starter PopperFart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
P

PopperFart

hello, this is my first time on the fourms, but not my first time with a VFT. i have just recently bought a VFT and it is my second one (my 1st one was when i was 7...it died so fast *sniff*) I was just wondering how much water i should give it each day (in ounces or what ever kind of measurement you wish). i would also like to know how much should i feed it each day, AND should i keep the plastic cover on? or take it off? oh yes, and one more question, should i transplant? thanks!

Welcome!
Here is some Info:
>>how much water i should give it each day ? they dont like being permanently water logged, so put it in a deep sauser, Fill it with 1/2 inch, & let it soak up. Wait a day or two & fill up again with 1/2. Just so you let the sauser dry out imbetween waterings.
>>how much should i feed it each day? They dont really need fed all that often. If you leave it out side (recomended because of the sun it needs) it will catch as many as it needs, otherwise, feed it probably no more than a bug every week or so.
>>should i keep the plastic cover on? You can take it off. They grow just fine with out it.
>>should i transplant? NO! I bet you got the plant from lowes or home depot, right? in that case, it is probably not in the best shape considering the poor care it got there. It would probably put it into shock & kill it since it is weak, but dont give up on it, I have one that I got 2 yrs. ago from Lowes & it is growing great.
Cole

Also, with the water. Use only rain water, RO(reverse osmosis) or distilled water. Tap water and other waters besides these three will kill it.

thanks ryan! and yes, i did get it from lowes. oh and thanks to you to colieo

Your welcome & good luck!
Cole

one more thing, how much sunlight???!?!? and im not sure i really understand the whole "direct" sunlight thing. i just put it on the window sill.  
sad.gif
  please help! and about the plastic cup they give you, do you recomend it? oH OH OH OH, yes, one more thing. should i still have the plastic cup, if i use the saucer technique? and thanks in adavanced

What part of the country do you live in? I live in GA and I grow mine outside year round. As for the Plastic "lid" I remove it and set the pot into it. Then if the water drops below the bottom of the pot if helps keep the humidity constant.

i live in southern california....Burbank (extremely close to L.A.)

Welcome to the Forums PopperFart,

You should gradually give your VFT more light to get it used to it. VFTs do best with lots (6+ hrs.) of sunlight. You should also get it used to being without the cover gradually. It's probably used to the higher humidity under the lid. Don't leave the lid covering the plant while the plant is in direct sun for a long period or it will get cooked.

It might not hurt to rinse the soil thoroughly a couple times to flush out some of the fertilizer and minerals that may have been in the water they used at the store.

I think your plant will handle being outside pretty good. I live in Colorado and grow my plant outside from late Spring to late Summer/early Fall.

Back