What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing cephalotus

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
Cephalotus makes up the bulk of my collection nowadays. I frequent the uk forum and noticed that they have the "American varieties" like emu point and hummers giant, yet only a few clones have made their way across our borders. Why is that?

What would importing include, and why haven't more people done it yet?

Does anyone in the US grow these below?

Adrian slack
Any black clones

Last edited:
I think a big reason is that there's actually very little difference between all these clones. With the exception of Hummer's Giant and Eden's Black, most of these "clones" are kind of a stretch. There is rarely any noticeable differences between them and the variety of "Typical" Cephalotus on the market.

Cephalotus makes up the bulk of my collection nowadays. I frequent the uk forum and noticed that they have the "American varieties" like emu point and hummers giant, yet only a few clones have made their way across our borders. Why is that?

What would importing include, and why haven't more people done it yet?

Does anyone in the US grow these below?

Adrian slack
Any black clones

There are some darker varieties floating around. One of the cephs I used to have was very dark- very easily could have been called a black variety (alas... it is no more...). As far as the Eden black, I assume a lot of it is nobody from this side of the pond has been offered one yet (Not sure how many Eden Blacks are floating around right now). Stephen's wait list is a mile long and I believe there are some conditions on receiving one which probably restrict sales for the first few propagation successes which may narrow down who would be likely to receive a division once it made it here. Given the permits involved in getting it over here I would suspect it is too much hassle for most. Stephen may not want to deal with that himself- dunno. (I am not trying to speak for him and do not actually know if any of this speculation is correct so please take it FWIW)

Again, I am totally speculating- perhaps Stephen could elaborate if he so desires. Regarding emu point. There are multiple clones which go by the name "emu point" which is a locale- I am aware of at least two. One clone is not a US one, the other I am aware of is. It could be we are speaking of two different clones entirely.

In certain private collections there are literally scores of selected cultivars, here in the US. You have to know who is growing these huge collections, though, or all you are going to see are "the usual suspects".

Thanks for the replies gentleman. Each point makes sense. If any one feels inclined to point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate the gesture!

I think it's the hassle of getting all the permits, phytosanitary certificates etc that puts most folk off. Afterall, why go to such hassle when one can easily sell them in their own continent without them.

Stephen's wait list is a mile long
I don't think that is the case anymore. He was selling them for £75 each on CPUK last year.

I think it's the hassle of getting all the permits, phytosanitary certificates etc that puts most folk off. Afterall, why go to such hassle when one can easily sell them in their own continent without them.

I don't think that is the case anymore. He was selling them for £75 each on CPUK last year.

Thanks mobile. At least the waiting list is one less obstacle I must overcome. I see a dim light at the end of the tunnel!

Back