What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date
Not nessasaraly. I have my cache set very small... So everytime, I'm sure I get the new version of a page. Your cache size will varry. If you view alot of pages inbetween comming to terraforums, other pages will "take" that cache space. And the TF cached images are lost. And then will be redownloaded once you revisit here. So to say "those images only need to be downloaded once" is simply not true. Although, if you don't browse much on the internet, or mainly only view this site. Then you are probably correct.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yep, it is 10 replys per page...

I think it is actually 9
smile_m_32.gif
lol.

-Jeremiah-

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jeremiah Harris @ Sep. 28 2006,3:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yep, it is 10 replys per page...

I think it is actually 9
smile_m_32.gif
lol.

-Jeremiah-
Wow- Slightly nit-picking are we not?
smile_n_32.gif
Yes, 1 original post, and 9 replys. 10 POSTS per page. Unless you are not on page 1... then my wording is correct... 10 replys per page.
cool.gif

OK here's a question.

If I can keep the image under 15k can it cover the open space to the right of the image? Or dose your screen resoluton decide how much space is there to begin with? Here's what my screen looks like so you can see what I'm talking about...

Question.jpg

I like Est idea with Skins.  I can get in contact with some of my friends and find out how to hack the forum softwear to allow you to do prettymuch anything you want to it.  We used to hack the forum softwear all the time on other boards.  Not sure why though.  With Est idea with Skins those who are on Dialup can switch to that skin and not see the sigs and such.  I agree there needs to be a limit on the size, but the current limit is rather small.  Copcar and jeremiah's sigs are micro now.  Personaly I think thats too small.  The size Jeremiah had was perfect size.  You say that your trying to please everyone, but to me it looks like your apeasing a few people.  Maybe you should take a poll and see what the forum wants.  That is if you care to be democratic about it.  Regardless I am still going to come to the forum because I like it, but sometimes I feel the wants of the few overpower those of the whole.

PAK is also correct that the forum is about discusion, but a little epxression is always good and I happin to like sigs the size that Jeremiah had originaly, and Copcars never bothered me either.  Scroll mouses are great!

Bottom line is you guys can do what you want.  When it gets to outraous for me I will move on.  I just think if your going to try to please people it should be the majority, and how else would you know what the majority wants without a pole.

I don't have a problem with anything else.  I just thought the sig issue went a little to far, but who am I?

Thats my 2 cents.

Oh  I vote for larger avitars too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]OK here's a question. ...

Wooooh! I can see my name in the picture!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not nessasaraly. I have my cache set very small.

AAAAHHH! It's like we're making the ultimate worst case scenario. lol

"I'm running on a 28.8 line, wirelessly. I'm running windows 3.1 (hardly!) with a stunning 16kb of RAM and a 200mhz processor. I've got 12mb of space on this baby- that's right, MEGA bytes. That's how we roll. I've also got a voodoo card in this sucker. I FLY in my 320 x 200 resolution with an amazing 4hz refresh rate. Put yo' sunglasses on, I've got two hundred AND fiddy six colours on this monitor. My cache? What cache? I'm aaaaall about virtual memory- you better watch out when you see me rollin'."

lol Luckily, I don't think he have a single person with ALL of the problems we seek to cater to.
laugh.gif
For instance: Adnedarn may have a smaller cache, but his internet speed is breakneck and he's got a fast computer so his cache is small because it doesn't need to be big.

You better still watch out when you see me rollin'. I was serious about that part.

Personally I'd rather have larger avatars and no signatures at all. Josh has a great point! Lets make a pole I mean poll. A good portion of the members don't even post anyway. One of their VFT's has a black leaf, they freak out , join the forum and are never heard of agian.

Never agian....

These are the rules as we have them posted guys. The size of the signature image is actually the 1 thing that kept the new revised rules from comming out a long time ago. We kinda sped up the process of getting them out because of a few recent topics... If it wasn't for that, who knows.. maybe we would have ended up agreeing on a larger image... We have noted that you're not nessasaraly too happy with the smaller signature images, would like larger avatars, and also asking if the signature image can be the same height but all the way across the board. (We actually disscussed that in the mod forum, but with a larger image, people would want larger image file sizes... It soon turns into a never ending process (then larger image file sizes, larger pixel sizes etc) ). If something changes you all will know.
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Sep. 28 2006,9:40)] If it wasn't for that, who knows.. maybe we would have ended up agreeing on a larger image...  
Oh now everyone will pin this on me. Thanks a lot buddy
biggrin.gif

haha- I said a few recent topics... not one
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It soon turns into a never ending process (then larger image file sizes, larger pixel sizes etc) ).

And before you know it, the Reds are in your home making a ham sandwich!

You know I'm just playin'.
smile_m_32.gif
Just having a little bit of fun.

At the end of the day, if you gotta shrink your sig, then you gotta shrink your sig. And life will go on.

My suggestion to people who want to see things a certain way, remember to keep it civil. Say your bit, and if the answers is no, then the answer is no.

Andrew, I hope you don't take my joking or the questions that have arrisen as criticism. I think folks just want a little clarity.

And then they want your car.
And next thing you know they're out with your daughter at all hours.
One day you come home and there they are on the couch watching payperview. PAY PER VIEW, in YOUR household! Equal share for all? Yeah, your share is the TV bill!

Freakin' commies.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh now everyone will pin this on me. Thanks a lot buddy
biggrin.gif

No, thank YOU! :brandishes knife and scowls:

smile_n_32.gif
It's ok <3

Join me in the Foot-In-Mouth alliance.
laugh.gif

Oh my god dude, I'm belly-laughing over here. LMAO, your one of the funniest people on the forum!

ROTFLMAO

As a side note.. those of us (yes me too!!! I use 1680 x 1050 ) Lower your resolution... See what stuff looks like at 800x600 or somewhere in between your size and 800x600. Sometimes we forget what we see... Isn't what others see. Actually... If you use 1680x1050 or something simular.. just click here to see what your screen would look like at 800x600. (make sure if you can expand the image, you do so... Windows XP and some others scale it down....)
And yes EST, you made me cry TWICE already durring this.
confused.gif

For me it's not the download time that bothers me... I care more about information density. It bothers me to have all that useless information on the screen. When you scan down a page and realize only 20% of what you scanned over was actual fresh content, that's a huge problem. A forum is about information. That's its entire purpose. So why would we want to fill it with repetitive/redundant and totally skippable crap? Even a cool signature (and there are very few) gets looked at maybe three times, and after that it's paid no attention at all. All it does then is dilute the page's value (and thus the forum's value if every page is afflicted).

Just because a functionality can be used doesn't mean it should be used. See myspace for great examples of what using functionalities for the sake of using them leads to.

So, the stricter the better, I say. In my web design years I've learned one seemingly universal truth which I'll never understand. If people have the power to make something hideous and unmanagable, they most certainly will (again, see myspace).

First off, I'd like to say I've never seen so many icons!

Sweet zombie Jesus! That's horrible! The text was all grainy and gross.. Then the screenshot... I don't want to change my resolution ever agian.

Okay- we're trying something different here. Hopefully it all works out. If you hae a complaint about it, please contact a mod or admin and we'll review your thoughts. At this point the signature image size stays. We have increased the avatar size from 64x64 @15k to 120x140 @25k and have added file format PNG to the selection. You can obtion a ping file within file specs by:
in adobe photoshop when you're ready to save your picture. Select "save for web" on the right select "PNG-8" then save. (Just incase you didnt' know how... Saving it normally as a PNG file, or as the larger PNG file will be too big. This size allows for plenty of quality. Hope that helps with the punch of the smaller signature.
Andrew

TY Addy and the other mods. :- )

Sorry for making you cry. <3

(PS, that's a heart, I'm not saying I'm sorry I made you cry less than 3 times. lol! )

lol! u guys should see how small the new sigs look on my laptop at 1920 by 1200.
smile_n_32.gif
....its freakin small.
smile_n_32.gif

But..its all good. Looks kinda classy and unique. I don't mind the small size.

Back