What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If it seems like i'm shovin it down ur throat

• Thread starter lol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    risk
Good point Suzanne.  lol, there are many people here of various faiths.  Some believe in prophecy.  But this is not prophecy; it is a standard trick of the trade for these alleged psychics.  And as an FYI lol, I am not an atheist.  You don't have to be an atheist to be discerning and analytical.  I'm not looking for a debate here that my religious beliefs provide evidence of 'lack of analytical abilities'.  I know that to many, religious belief is anathema to reasoning.  Tell that to C.S. Lewis (hint--you have to talk with the dead to do that--call John Edwards, another psychic fraud for help).  And if I were an atheist, it would not make my argument less valid.  These are just my opinions.  When I was younger, I was more inclined to believe in paranormal events.  I don't discount them entirely, but this guy really does not seem to possess special abilities.  If you want to believe in psychic abilities, that's just fine, but you may want to look for someone with a better track record of specific and verifiable predictions before any one of us idiots are convinced.

You are just creating fire. People will not believe it no matter how hard you try to convince them. That is great you like the guy but come on...

I just wanted to know how many were part of a religion and how many were'nt that's all. I was responding more to what Outsiders said in his last post.

i'm an atheist.

I don't take a label defined by others.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Nov. 15 2005,3:33)]Now you've done it. How many of you are aetheists? Just curious.

Outsiders, surely your not trying to imply that I do not have faith in Christ, are you?
mad.gif
Before you try placing the heat that is on you onto me, no I wasn't implying that to you but to "people" in general. I honestly don't know where you stand on that issue anyways.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Nov. 15 2005,2:01)]If I can rely on him to make predictions on when there will be major disasters, that would allow me to
1. stock up on gas before prices go up
2. invest stock in companies that deal in disaster relief, i.e. CAT, Home Depot, etc.
3.  Be weary of whats going on in the world, and remind myself that I shoul ALWAYS be prepared for something bad just in case.
4.  If, for instance, I saw that this storm in the Atlantic could turn into a hurricane and head for us as Turi may have predicted, I would then be able to give forewarning to family in the gulf coast, and tell them to be prepared to have to leave.  That way they won't be in the same scramble many others would be in the event that a hurricane heads there way.  

If you use your head, there are a lot of ways to use info, no matter how vague you think it may be.
I would challenge you to buy some stock every time he predicts a disaster in the US and evacuate for a week every time he predicts an earthquake in CA, and then let us know how you fared a year from now, but I don't want you to go bankrupt.

Though if you've done any of these things already please tell us how it's worked out.

I didn't say earthquake, I said hurricane, or disaster of similar destructive power. Lets stay on the same island of thought please
smile.gif

You repeatedly mentioned fearing an earthquake in the other thread. I don't think you're in much hurricane danger.

You said Turi's advice is useful, so how are you using it? Not how can it be used... how are YOU currently using it and how is it working out for you?

I can't use it very much becuase
1. I don't have family in immediate threat of a natural disatser.
2. I don't have money to invest in stock right now
3. I'm only 16 so I don't yet have a car or a need for gas
4. Just haven't gotten around to using my brain to think of a way to use his predictions because here in southern CA, all we have to worry about are earthquakes or a terrorist attack which for right now, doesn't seem to be a threat or one of his predictions.

Don't believe it if you wish, it makes no difference to me.  But for those of us out there beyond this plant forum (and there are many of us) who choose to believe in a higher power, and carry those beliefs into the new and developing knowledge of things we could only dream of and throw to the direction of sci-fi in past years.  Wether you want to believe in psychic power or not, it doesn't matter because the truth will reveal itself in time, and those who still don't want to believe and see the signs will be left in the dust. It's the same sort of ignorance and lack of perception that's leading our country, our society into ruin.

Wait wait wait, dude, did you just imply that skepticism in psychic phenomena is the cause of the downfall of Western society?
No one here has addressed whether or not there are psychic people out there. The skepticism is about this 'Doctor' Turi's abilities in particular. This is just a particularly obvious case of a con. The predictions are too general - they're formulated so that anybody who wants to believe in this guy can find his prophecies to be 'true' in some limited sense. If he had better predictions, sharper predictions, he would share them with us all for the sake of his own credibility.
I don't know if psychic ability is real, always an act, just coincidence, or some mixture of the three. However, I have known far, far more convincing purported psychics than this guy. People who can tell you what number you're thinking of, consistently, or pick the cards on top of a shuffled deck, or predict your pet's death to the date. These types of events are much more specific, much more testable, and much more impressive than the generalizations you've presented here.
~Joe

In the last thread you also said Turi wasn't psychic.

Personally I believe in and have experienced a number of the things you're talking about. And I say Turi isn't one of them. I'm not against him because his claims are esoteric... I'm against him because he's diluting the realm of the esoteric (the real stuff) with fluff and further ruining its credibility with the general public. I believe he's harming exactly what you hold dear... and I'm trying (and failing miserably) to encourage you not to start doing the same someday.

I certainly do not consider myself ignorant with a lack of perception because I do not believe in or want to be a part of Dr. Turi's cult. As to your statement about not caring if people believe or not- obviously you do or you wouldn't keep posting his foolish predictions when you know nobody accepts them or cares about them. If you're just doing it to start a debate ok, but I think the title of your thread says it all.

Not believing in Dr. Turi's predictions doesn't mean that paranormal and psychic events don't happen. I believe there ARE people who have sensory perceptions beyond the "normal". But that has nothing to do with religion and the vast majority of people who claim to have such extraordinary powers are just charlatans. Same goes for many religious leaders like Kathryn Khulman and Ernest Angley who claimed to heal people of devastating diseases up on a stage. These fakes do a lot of damage to people both emotionally and financially.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Nov. 15 2005,11:05)] Wether you want to believe in psychic power or not, it doesn't matter because the truth will reveal itself in time, and those who still don't want to believe and see the signs will be left in the dust.  It's the same sort of ignorance and lack of perception that's leading our country, our society into ruin.
Where is your evidence to make a statement like that ?? It takes a bit more than not believing in some madmans predictions to lead any country or society into ruin!! A wise person disbelieves this rubbish. Those who believe it just prove how gullible they are.

Just to let you know, I respect and value everyone's opinion despite their standing on the issue. When I said ignorance, I was reffering to ignorance to things beyond what can be plainly seen, and ignorance to much higher forms of truth wether it be the true workings of our government, the presence of a higher power, or the ability to predict future events. I am in know way trying to say everyone is ignorant either.

It's pretty clear a lot of people here are open to the possibility of people having paranormal abilities.  But we're still waiting for Dr. Turi to display some.  There's a lot of unrest in the world, usually unreported in the US, and, during just about any three day period, a significant storm will strike a storm prone area and a significant earthquake will occur in a tectonically active area.  His vague predictions about such highly probable events demonstrate no special predictive ability.  There are reasons to disagree with the old saw that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, but Dr. Turi's results don't even rise to the level of ordinary proof.

Sounds like another job for CSICOP.

Some of us are having a little fun with the topic of Dr. Turi, but I do believe you have the right to your beliefs.  If you believe it, more power to you.  BUT...remember...your topic title says you are going to "shove this down our throats."  That kinda attitude will make people bristle.

Instead of stating you're going to shove this down our throats, how about "Let me share some predictions I believe in"...or something like that.  A gentler and kinder attitude is a better route...IMHO.

It's always in good humor PlantAKiss
smile.gif

Back