What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I understand Joseph correctly... P. gypsicola

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've been attempting to sprout P. gypsicola leaves, following Joseph
Clemens' advice. I have tried sealed baggies of slightly moist media,
as well as placing them on top of exposed media. I get good results
with every other Mexican ping.... except this species. Mine nearly all
rot. This time I put 10 leaves on top of a square of dry paper towel,
on top of the Nep planter, under a Grolite, with another dry paper
towel square covering the leaves. A few weeks later, one leaf turned
brown and the others are sprouting. Yes!!!

So you had major strikes due to totally DRY paper toweling??

Wow, that's weird...........

You're a master experimenter Jim. :)

I place my leaves on a vermiculite, sand, peat media in "clam shell" containers and keep them moist and well lit. I have about 90% success with gypsicola and 100% with most anything else. I have found that temp and light are very important for gypsicola, under poor lighting they all turned brown in a week, but once i put a T5 light over the clam shells they sprout very easily and grow fast.

I use soil to sprout mine, but keep it on the dry side. I've notice I have better success with all Ping cuttings when the soil is on the dry side then wetter. If too wet I will lose a few to rot.

I've also read that P. gypsicola is difficult to keep, in the long run. The plant that Joseph sent me has been alive for 1.5 years. I believe that is due to mixing the media with crushed coral. They need an alkaline environment.

Good deal on the gypsicola pullings Jim. My last attempt failed so I am waiting for them to start producing summer leaves and it looks like it is starting to happen now!!
I FINALLY have one shoebox that is dedicated to just gypsicolas and it is now full of 2" pots with one in each one.Some of the plantlets I got from pullings last spring from my Mother plant are now starting to get summer leaves.It's kind of cool how the first ones seem to be reaching for the lights,LOL.
My Mother plant has started to develop roots coming out the sides about one layer of winter leaves high and are going into the media.Is that normal?
Mark W.

Back