What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idk what to do lol

• Thread starter joshua m
  • Start date
My vfts have been going through a lot of stuff and that includes lighting, mold, pests I need to know if I should grow my plants in a terrarium or not or if I grow them in regular pots, how do I care for these??? I've been growing on and off for 10+ years please tell me the proper care for vfts and also nepenthes

My vfts have been going through a lot of stuff and that includes lighting, mold, pests I need to know if I should grow my plants in a terrarium or not or if I grow them in regular pots, how do I care for these??? I've been growing on and off for 10+ years please tell me the proper care for vfts and also nepenthes
I also need some help with artificial lighting and what to choose

Grow them outside if at all possible. They are not terrarium plants, they expect full sun and temperate seasons. The ICPS, Sarracenia Northwest, and numerous other sites already list out their care needs in full detail.

Grow them outside if at all possible. They are not terrarium plants, they expect full sun and temperate seasons. The ICPS, Sarracenia Northwest, and numerous other sites already list out their care needs in full detail.
Hmmm... Okay but how am I growing them indoors in a open terrarium, 15 watt sansi grow light with 1500 lumens... Idk maybe I would be getting all green in the traps if they weren't getting enough light but they have enough color too... I'm not going against what you're saying I'm just saying I'm in Texas, not the best place to grow carnivorous plants outdoors and plus I'm going to be moving to Missouri soon... So it's going to be too cold like -20°f at the least in the winters there. I have no other choice and my brother Sebastian likes to flip over anything I sit out there to grow and he'll stomp on them, that's him tho...

Temperatures exceed 100F here in summer with far drier conditions than most of Texas sees, and the plants winter just fine moved into the basement here, some people grow them in mulched over permanent outdoor bogs. Outdoors is still the recommendation, especially with light that weak being used in the artificial setup which is going to worsen any and all issues caused by the increased humidity (not needed) of an enclosed terrarium system.

It's not enclosed it's open

They need to be grown outdoors in full sun, not in terrariums.
When temps consistently are below freezing I move my plants to an unheated garage. No light, soil just barely damp to avoid the plants rotting when dormant.

Yep I'm sure that'll work out for you when I'm 17 barely 18 stuck here with siblings like I mentioned, they'll kill anything that they have in there path! My little one throws bricks at my 4th oldest ear, hits and breaks his nose, yea I'm sure that'll work like I said not possible

My vfts have been going through a lot of stuff and that includes lighting, mold, pests I need to know if I should grow my plants in a terrarium or not or if I grow them in regular pots, how do I care for these I've been growing on and off for 10+ years please tell me the proper care for vfts and also nepenthes
Here is proper care info for your VFT: Growing Dionaea muscipula | ICPS
And my fave website for info on Nepenthes: Nepenthes Around the House
For fun, and future reference, here is my fave site for Sundews: Web site
Good Luck!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ idk they are growing so much better in this terrarium tho they are closing faster than ever before! Idk it's up to me I guess
I took them out I think it's best and they are under my grow light

Attachments

• FJIMG_20211012_023646.jpg
    FJIMG_20211012_023646.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 5
  • FJIMG_20211012_023304.jpg
    FJIMG_20211012_023304.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 4
  • FJIMG_20211012_023242.jpg
    FJIMG_20211012_023242.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 4
  • FJIMG_20211012_023117.jpg
    FJIMG_20211012_023117.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 5
  • FJIMG_20211012_023024.jpg
    FJIMG_20211012_023024.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 5
A aquarium light by finnex here is the most recent pics
What Finnex Model grow light do you have? Is it still working great? I have heard a lot of good things about Finnex but I have also read that they can have power supply issues

yeah i stopped using it after some issue with thee cord back in October then i switched to this really cheap double chipped led grow light which was only 10$ and for 10$ you cant beat the 100000 lux output

What Finnex Model grow light do you have? Is it still working great? I have heard a lot of good things about Finnex but I have also read that they can have power supply issues
they're also in a very big pot, all of my plants and they love the light even the b52

Back