What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify this plant

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
Tell us the story already !!!!
biggrin.gif

Well, I have no idea what it is. I will say that I have only seen it grow along roadways. I think Tamlin was right, it does have small pea pods growing on it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gardenofeden @ Aug. 19 2004,12:52)]it look like bird's-foot trefoil, Lotus corniculatus, although I dont know what country you are in and where you got it, so it could be something similar...
This is exactly what it is. Lotus corniculatus Its flowering all over Michigan right now.

Pea family (fabaceae) and introduced from Europe. It gets its name from the seed pods. the small pods arange them selves like a birds foot...

Steve

Sorry that I have waited so long to tell the story behind this pic, but I've been a little busy. Here it is.

I first noticed this plant about two years ago when I was working near Cleveland Ohio. Everyday I would ride to work and see these yellow flowers. One day I stopped to see if they were a bladderwort. In the back of my mind I knew that they couldn't be, but I stopped anyway. I looked at the flower and it looked just like a bladderwort. I'll admit that I don't know bladderworts very well. So I went home and and looked up terrestrial bladderworts that grow in the area. The closest one that looked like it was Utricularia macrorhiza, just like Bugweed said. It also grew in MI, which was about 100 miles away.
I can look at the pic and see the difference from that plant and a bladderwort really easy. The flowers that I first saw looked alot more like Bladderworts than the one in the pic. I dug up some of the soil to see what it was growing in and it was very sandy. The next year I noticed the same plant growing in other places around the area, including 1/2 mile from my house. I kept watching the plants and I saw bean pods growing on it. Even though I knew it wasn't a bladderwort, I still wondered what the plant was, but nobody that lived here locally had any idea.
So fast forward about a year, Me, Nick Hubbell and Doug(Death66) planned a trip to a bog on the east side of Cleveland. I was telling Nick about the plant on the way to pick Doug up. As we pulled off the highway the whole side of the road was filled with the yellow flowers. We pulled into the McDonalds where Doug was waiting and the filed behind the parking lot was also filled with them. So me and Nick got out of the car and were looking at the flowers. Doug walked up and asked what we were doing and I naturally told him that we were looking at bladderworts.
biggrin.gif
 For some reason Doug didn't believe me. But then as we were looking at them I think he started to believe that they were really bladderworts.. So he got his camera and started taking pics of them. Including the pick I posted. Later he told me that he knew they were not bladderworts. I asked why he thinks that? He said he knew that they weren't bladderworts because Nick wasn't taking pics of them. LOL.
Anyway thanks to Doug who took the nice pic of the flower.

Back