What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID this utric...by the leaves!

glider14

Always a newbie
hey guys. found this in another pot. i dont have any other utric that has leaves like it. could it be U. subulata? and yes it IS a utric. i dug it up and there were bladders on it. REALLY tiny ones.
Alex

IMG_0519.jpg

I dunno, but they don't have true leaves, instead they have photosynthetic stolons.

i know. i keep getting corrected either way i say it. a while ago i said photosynthic stolons and somebody said that "if ______ calls them leaves then im ok with it" the _________ was a writer of one of the monograph books for utrics. besides. leaves is alot shorter :D
Alex

Lol, that for rizzle :)

wow!
are you sure that that came from me?
I've never seen one of those in my collection before

yup. it showed up a while ago and i thought it was just some weed. it grew right next to the same filiformis plant the whole time. my other utrics are U. sandersonii, calycfida, livida, arenaria, and longifolia. it looks nothing like any of those. the bladders are much smaller than any of them.
Alex

Oh!!! I think that that might be one of the ones that Jimscott gave me.

do you know which it was?
Alex

Odds are it is subulata. Any interloper can be assumed to be subulata because it is a ubiquitous weed.

And the author of the monograph was Taylor FYI :)

i know. i keep getting corrected either way i say it. a while ago i said photosynthic stolons and somebody said that "if ______ calls them leaves then im ok with it" the _________ was a writer of one of the monograph books for utrics. besides. leaves is alot shorter :D
Alex

lol you really want to torque those ppl off? refer to the leaves/photosynthetic stolons of U. petertaylorii as lollons :grin: for some dang reason with that species it REALLY pushes those ppls buttons :grin: ive only been able to do it once but ive got more seed coming and should be able to do it again this spring :-))

wow. thats a weird one rattler. it just grows from a central point? its pretty though.
Alex

i only got one lollon up before a dang mouse dug it up............my seeds from Aussie land are now in the country but a friend is holding them(along with some other cool seeds) for me till it warms up here a bit.........lil cold IMO to be shipping tropical seeds up here

you can call them what you like but most people call the green bits leaves....

Back