What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID this Nep.

• Thread starter Acro
  • Start date
Found this photo on a seller's website. In the photo, there is a N. sibuyanensis x merrilliana pitcher in the middle, but who's pitchers are on the left and right with the green lips (peristome) ? Maybe those are just upper and lower pitchers?

20190828_105705-R-aug-2019.jpg

Its their pitchers too. Those 2 are newly opened pitchers and will gradually turned into the middle one (lips fully opened, and with darker colourations)

Agree. I've considered picking up one of these hybrids a few times. ...so big. :awesome: robcantley posted a nice picture of one on insta a couple days ago.

Agree. I've considered picking up one of these hybrids a few times. ...so big. :awesome: robcantley posted a nice picture of one on insta a couple days ago.
I think now is a good time to act. I counted 4 sellers right now, all great places, prices $20-$45 depending on the nursery and the size. I'm getting one on Thursday. I don't have room, but I'll figure something out. It was impossible to resist.

I believe the plant pictured in the first photo is one of the nursery's personal plant, not just a BE photo. They've been posting photos in other forum(s).

I think there's several different clone of sibuyanensis x merrilliana. According to some, BE released multiple assorted clones and also selected clone, and also one from EP. I have 4 of this hybrids and has some variability between them (some darker, some brighter, some slightly elongated, etc)

avbp6z9vsg8a1 (1).jpg
One of mine (not sure which clone as I bought them unlabelled from (now defunct) local nursery in SE Asia.

Thanks all, what a stunning massive plant.

Love how it's pitchers go from green lipped to red. Does it have upper and lower pitchers?

Great photo Moon Ring! Thanks for posting.

Thanks all, what a stunning massive plant.

Love how it's pitchers go from green lipped to red. Does it have upper and lower pitchers?

Great photo Moon Ring! Thanks for posting.
Those are their lower (mature) pitchers. I'm not sure about upper pitchers, mine never produce its yet, even though they're +4 years cutting from mature plants. Probably they're similar with sibuyanensis (also rarely produce upper pitchers).

From my observation, when their growing vines becomes too tall, its slowed down and stop producing pitchers from there. Their focus switched to basal growth (usually just 1 or 2 basal shoots), which then quickly become large and will produce full size (sometimes even larger) pitchers for there.

I'm not sure if this affected by their growing environments (humidity, temperature, lights, pot/roots size, etc).

Back