What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Took Some Adelae Leaf Cuttings, What is Going on Here?

Some have the typical plantlet I would expect:

dS4zy.png

O8TOO.png

But one leaf has three of what looks like maybe the beginning stages of this (now that I see it blown up)? But waay red:

fyj2H.png

BW1dl.png

I1h6M.png

lNaEV.png

These leaves were sitting in a glass of water under some lights for a month or so. What I've noticed about adelae is I can't keep them alive, but I can't keep them dead either. :blush:

EDIT: The one leaf had three of those red horns. Two on one side, and one on the other. Kinda like this: --,--'-'--- So I snipped the leaf between the bottom one and above ones, and put both pieces on the LFS horns-up.

Nice close ups!

Its a growin'! :clap:

the red buds are the same thing as the green. The buds are usually red when they've been placed under a bright location, but if one leaf has buds that shoot out more quickly, for one reason or another, then the coloration is green most of the time. But red is what I see, usually when the cuttings have been floating in water directly under the lights.
Below is a "progression" pic of D. x obovata 'Ivan's Paddle' leaves (at different stages) doing a similar thing, but the red coloration wore off once the buds started forming leaves. That would be interesting if yours stay red.
sundew_leaf_cuttings.JPG

And yes...you have one heck of a camera!

Yikes, your pic makes me think I should have left mine in the water longer instead of putting them on (in?) LFS already.

The reason I got the camera was for CPs. :-D

It really doesn't matter at all as long as you partially bury the leaf into the (should be) sopping wet LFS and make sure to give them high humidity for a while until they can establish themselves and develop roots. Half the time, I leave them too long because I'm have too much other work to do, so they end up not doing as well. Your first picture is pretty ideal as far as when to pot them up. That way, when you place them on the media surface, they'll have a good head start, and since the leaf isn't decomposing yet, it will give them plenty of photosynthesis power for another few weeks, which increases the growth of the plantlets substantially.

But one leaf has three of what looks like maybe the beginning stages of this (now that I see it blown up)?
Ever see ALIEN?

(I was going to link a pic....)

Congrats! They are growing! I have a few started as well. I find them easy!

Back