What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I really hate Mondays

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
I was standing in the shower this morning when I suddenly realized that I had left almost all my CPs outside last night and the temps had dropped down to 32° overnight.  Fearing the worst I looked outside to see if at least the VFTs had survived.  To my amazement they all looked fine in spite of the light frost some of them had on them.  I just checked them a while ago (I'm on my lunch break) and they still looked fine.  Now, I know some of you think I'm over reacting, but I haven't had a chance to harden these off to Mother Nature's vageries yet.  So to see these "soft" house plants sitting unscathed was the highlight of my day so far.

icon14.gif

BCK

PHEW! I know that feeling all too well.
OMYGOSHIKILLEDMYPLANTS!
wait a minute....
They're alive!
tounge.gif

Well I live in Florida, but sometimes my dog just walces (SP?) in to my garden and tramples my plants

VFT's can take 32 degrees no problem!
they get frost and temps below freezing in their native climate all the time.
it even freezes in Florida once in awhile!
all Sarracenia and VFT's can deal with short cold snaps.
I wouldnt even think of bringing in my plants unless it was going to drop into the mid-20's..
even then, they would very likely survive if it was just one night.
If the lows are going to be in the mid-30's I wouldnt think about bringing them inside!
VFT's have been surviving outside year-round in Vermont for the last decade or so..(heavily mulched so they are well insulated,) but they can take some cold with no problems.

I was there last Tue at the other end. I had put my capes outside to harden off the young plantletts. I went to work and the temps. went to work on my water level, it was 85 F that day. I got home to find there pots dry. 2 out of 5 survived
sad.gif

I was in the process of hardening these off. I've had them inside all winter and some of them are getting very etoliated from the low light level by the back door. I figured since it was overcast that would be a good time to put them out then got on the forums and forgot about them. I figured the VFTs and pitcher plants might survive but even my D. scorpioides came through fine. That was a big relief.

smile.gif

BCK

Back