What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I may have overdosed the tank.. help!

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I added 15 ml's to the tank to gill some BGA. When I turned the filter back on the otto's and shrimp went crazy. one otto started swimming upside down, sideways, straight up, and sometimes stopped swimming and got carried away by the current. I feel so bad... The other one might survive, and the shrimp for the most part have settled down and are eating. some males are still swimming, but in all fairness they were swimming this morning.

I feel SO bad guys.. I feel like another word for crap. I feel like a murderer. I UNDERDOSED the tank...

I had to put one out of it's misery. I didn't want it to suffer. I feel so bad...

What on earth did you add?  You spend a lot of time adding stuff only to have these problems.  Me, I do next to nothing right and they still survive.  I thought I killed an otto by squishing it for a day between the slate and the glass and it's looking better than ever.

I'm sorry for your loss, Clint!
sad.gif

P.S.  I hope that last statement give's Nikki's mom the giggles--rats, shouldn't have said that.

oh I didn't say?

Hydrogen peroxide. It was reccomended to me and a lot people have used it safely. I think somehow the otto must have swallowed some. The other otto is hiding in there somewhere but I'm sure he'll be fine. all of the shrimp are fine. that also backs of my theory that the otto swallowed some above the HC before I turned on the filter, because you'd think the shrimp would be the first to go.

It really got to me when I cut off the head and i heard the spine snap. It was over in half a second so he went peacefully. Thank god the headless body didn't flop around.

Wow! I feel bad already
sad.gif

At least he didn't suffer

I think he had brain dammage or something.. he also lodged himself in a hole in a rock for a good minute or two....

I need to plug that hole with an anubias or something.

That sounds like a "Plan".

How many shrimp and stuff do you have left?

uh... atleast 20.

Well they can keep you company while you stock up your tank again.

Oy Vey! Ever have that stuff get on your skin? It stings and turns white. We used to use that to breakdown organics for solid samples, when I worked in the lab. It fizzes real good!

Yeah, If only the plants pearled as fast as the BGA does when exposed to H202 lol.

It was only 3% strength, and I underdosed. Oh well. lesson learned. Nothing I can do now.

The other otto is on the glass next to the filter intake. I think he's just chilling out. He looks fine.

so...what does hydrogen peroxide do for the tank?
Alex

Apparently it kills your otto's
sad.gif

H202 kills bacteria. That's why people put it on cuts, to sterilize.

BGA (Blue-green algae) isn't an algae at all. It's bacteria. It also produces toxins that are harmful to the fauna (think Red Tide). It's unsightly and can smother small plants like HC (the smallest aquarium plant).

H202 kills BGA because it's a bacteria. So far the BGA looks the same, except it's still got h202 bubbles and/or pearls on it. We shall see within the next few days. I might have to just cut it out.

Tanks do best when they're mostly left alone, unless the goal is micro-managed power-growth (which is way more trouble than it's worth I think). The more I messed with tanks years ago the more I screwed things up.

My best tank to date requires almost no CO2 and probably no dosing (I do a tiny bit of Flourish anyway). Otherwise nothing goes in there but food and new water. Ever.

i'm going after the high-tech micro-managed power growth look lol. I didn't just spend $250 on crap I don't really need for nothing
smile.gif

A guy on the PT said he does 20 ml's in a tank the same size as mine and no problems. I'm convinced it swallowed it somehow. If this doesn't kill the BGA i'll have to do it again, but this time i'm just going to spot treat with 5 mls'

Hi,

If you ever do it again, try mixing it in a jar of water first and then pouring it in with the filter running. I have used a tsp of hydrogen perxoide per 5 gallons of water for decades as an O2 booster when the power fails or in water change problems and have never killed a fish.

Bobby

What size tank do you have?

Back