What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love bromeliads,especially the flowers.

I love growing bromeliads.
I also love seeing them bloom, so when I recently bought this bromeliad I waited a week then took it's photo.
bromeliad%20flower,30%.jpg

I then took a closer look at the bloom and I noticed that some-one (or something!) was also enjoying my bromeliad bloom.
close-up,30%.jpg

A grasshopper!!
I wonder whether the flower tasted nice?? Now all I have to do is put one of my pitcher plants nearby,......hee hee

What are the basics for bromeiliad care...my sister got me one and I have no background in growing them....

Hi Neil

I love them too, I have literally thousands.

Slyfi it depends on what kind of Brom you have. Mopst of them are fairly easy and enjoy similar conditions so assuming you have a Neoregalia or similar just keep them warm, very free draining media (I use wood shavings, charcoal or even nothing) and keep some water in the middle of the cup.

Cheers, Troy.

I have some 30 in my collection (and always looking for more Fatboy!) I think they are wonderful plants: such beautiful colors and different forms. For me, they are easier to grow than spiderplants (Chlorophytum), are very forgiving of forgetting to water, and are all round great plants, especially when they flower. They are also perfect for sharing as they make numerous offsets after flowering.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They are also perfect for sharing as they make numerous offsets after flowering.
Tamlin, are you hinting at Troy (fatboy)? Because if you are, then I'd like to hint too!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Troy, I've seen your Bali garden and it looks absolutely fabulous. I'm trying to persuade my wife that we should go to Bali for another holiday, trouble is we only went last December!
Happy growing, Neil.
p.s. perhaps you can PM or reply as to your bromeliad source?

Hi Neil and Tamlin

Tamlin if you are able to receive plants from me then I have no problem in sending you a couple of pups, let me know if you think it'll work. Give me some ideas as to what you like too.

Neil as PFT doesn't sell Broms (I don't think?) I'll tell you who I got my Broms from. My apologies if I'm crossing any lines here, more than happy to delete or edit this if neccessary.
About 7 years ago I bought a couple of thousand from a guy named Keith Golinski who runs Bromagic in Qld, Australia. I have to say he was very good and I am always happy to recommend him to anyone that asks.

Cheers, Troy.

Troy,
      I know the guy and I've ordered some airplants from him previously. In fact I have another package of airplants on the way from him. I've not tried ordering any other type of bromeliad from him.
A couple of thousand?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???
Wow!!!
Was it a personal order or a business order? Just curious,...
happy growing, Neil.

Hi Neil,
Any advice on your watering and light regime for growing airplants in Singapore? My plants always seems to die after a few months.

Guqin, I really don't have much advice. My airplants grow outdoors, recieving direct sunlight for part of the day. They get watered when I water all my other plants on the open balcony, around every 3 days or whenever I'm free.
I think the success is that they need lots of fresh air circulation and should 'dry-up' within a few hours after watering. If they are kept too wet they quickly rot. I spray mine with a hose using normal tap water (same for my nepenthes etc) and they dry up nice and fast afterwards.
I think they would grow even faster if watered every day but I don't have the time.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/103104584/106813043EmOTZk
Happy growing, Neil

Wow! That is a fantastic collection of airplants.
wow.gif
Maybe can trade some of my Amorphophallus for your airplants, if you have spares. Yes, I have not forgotten about our trade!
biggrin.gif

Guqin, I wish I had some spares to give you but all that you saw in the picture only arrived from Australia a week before Christmas.
sad.gif
sad.gif

It was sort of a Christmas present paid for by my parents.
Sorry about that, I wish I could have helped.  Maybe in a years time, if they grow well.
Happy growing, Neil

Guqin, if you want to see the fireball bromeliad I offered you, see the pesky grasshopper thread. Don't worry I won't try to pass the grasshopper on to you!!
I passed 2 pups to Jalan Kayu and he says they are doing fine.
Happy growing, Neil.

Thanks Neil. BTW, did you get my PM?

Troy,
could you reccomend some bromeliads that would do well with dart frogs? I'm looking for a fairly small one, with a large cup, and one that doesn't have sharp leaves or spikes at the end of them. also that makes alot of pups
thanks
-Spec

Back