What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got a birdy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Oct. 06 2004,5:20)]well then with your siblings and no wing clipping i dont know if this bird will ever trust any of you. you or she have given it no reason to, and first impressions are a big thing
Thank you for bursting my bubble. x_x I'm NOT giving up though.

They don't clip the wings there. And if a bird trusts me enough that I can get him out of his cage then he won't need clipped wings because he won't fly away if he's comfortable with me. And if he does then thats fine because it's probably not because he's scared. I had planned to let him fly around my room when I'm in there anyway. A cage is no place for a bird full time.

you can keep 2 birds and they'll be tame BUT they won't be as tame and it will take MANY times more to tame them.

Thats because the birds wont need the conpanionship of a human to satisfy its social needs. If given a choice, a bird will, atleast at first, always prefer a member of its species as a preferred companion. This doesnt mean it wont be tame, as TheAlphaWolf said, but will take time.

And i wish to tell you the dangers of flying free. Its happened with my birdrds and it may at some point happen to yours

Varneshes; sprays for cleaning, personal hygine, or bugs; trace of clensers or chemicals- effect: Poisoning

Open windows and doors with glass- effect: Flying against the glass with possibly fatal results (happened to me)

Speces between walls and furniture- Effect: getting stuck (happened to me)

Open drawrs and cabinets- Effect: getting locked in and suffocating. (happened to me)

Open containers with liquid (toilets, sinks, vases, pots, serving dishes)-Effect- drowning

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thank you for bursting my bubble. x_x I'm NOT giving up though.

Giving up is the last thing you should do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Open drawrs and cabinets- Effect: getting locked in and suffocating. (happened to me)
awww!!!
are your drawers and cabinets really that airtight? I'd think they'd starve to death.

i never said it was a fatal incident. he was found before anything happened. I have only had 1 bird die of a accident outside the cage.

ok good...
but I doubt they'd soffocate to death.

Also remember birds are far smaller than we are and things that dont scare us will scare them and the things that scare them will often defy logic or understanding. Be aware that any bird that does not have its wings cliped and is out of the cage can suddenly be scared by nearly anything and it will generally try to fly as far and as fast from that object as possible, this is especially dangerous indoors as it generally means crashing into something! I do not recomend that the wings be clipped to the point that the bird cannot fly but I do strongly recomend keeping them partially clipped so it cannot fly far or fast!

That's why I'm only gonna let him out when I'm watching him. And I think it'd be too traumatizing for him. He'd hate me even more. X_X

Touch him every day. whenever hes good give hime some millet. eventually let him eat it out of your hand. as soon as he does that he has gotten pretty accustomed to you. Also, NEver get another bird unless you want them to breed. They turn against you when they are together unless the bird loves you. Remember, the more time you spend with it. The longer it will live. My friends parakeet is 6 years old. thats long for a parakeet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Oct. 08 2004,2:12)]Open containers with liquid (toilets, sinks, vases, pots, serving dishes)-Effect- drowning
My parakeet swam in the toilet and bathed itslef in it. It was funny. I gave him away though because I no longer had the time to take care of him. I agve it to my friends mom who gave it to a local breeder and a personal friend of thiers.

Toilets are really really dangerous to birds!!! never never never leave a toilet open if you have free flying birds!

thats right!

ther both right

He doesn't want anything to do with me at the minute. He flies around whenever I stick my hand in there to give him fruit. He won't even take it from my hand. Won't even reach towards me.

Birds generally dont get excited about fruits they are not familiar with.... try spray millet, set it in the cage and remove your hand but keep it near the cage and wait for the bird to eat it with you there, then try it with your hand in the cage

millet is those little round seeds they usually feed birds (they're bad for them if that's the only thing they eat... too much fat. I feed my birds that pellet stuff) and spray millet is those seeds in a branch. birds like to pick them of the branch.

Of I have that. Yeah I put one branch in there today and he downed the whole thing in 15 hours. Needless to say...I was impressed and or...scared.

I agree with that pellets are best! maybe mixed with some misc. grains and nuts and dried fruit

and vegetables :p

hmm.... I have a question... is it OK for my birds to eat dirt? LOL
they love going to one of my pots and they eat little pieces of wood and vermiculite (or at least they pulverize them)... so far nothing bad's happened to them and they've been doing that for months.

Back