What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I discovered the best darn alarm clock........

.....last night. at about 2 am i feel something moving on my boxers, and very quickly realized it wasnt Darla being playfull. now for someone who has never experianced this feeling of some unknown critter, in the middle of the night, getting fairly close to the family jewels, well, needless to say it is quite effective at bringing you out of stone cold unconsousness and make you levitate a fairly decent distance above the bed doing all sorts of movements to get rid of the offending monster and protect the future of your family name, far, far more effective than any alarm clock. it doesnt help that we live next to a field so we have a slight problem with deer mice in our house and thats what went through my head first

as some of you know i have a mini zoo. on of the "stars" of our lil collection is our sugar glider. for those who dont know what they are, they are about 8 inches long, half of which is tail, weight a few ounces, and are basically an Austrailian "flying" chipmunk. well they are also nocturnal which means i generally feed her right before i go to bed. last night i didnt get the door all the way closed to her cage, it was left open leaving about 1/3 of an inch crack and she squeezed out and decided to come and visit. which is unusual being as she is quite anti social. the lil boy we had loved coming over and visiting but this is a first for lil girl.

ROFL Beautiful! Speaking of alarms, laughing at this just woke me up quite nicely.
biggrin.gif

lmao,that's classic

Well i just got one of them alarm clocks that roll onto the ground onn wheels and hide under the bed when the alarm goes off so u cant shut it off when you need to be getting up. I put it on a stand AWAY from my bed beecause it sort of lands on me sometimes if its over my head

HAHA,that's too funny!~Niki~

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Ha ha ha! I had an experience like that once with my rat. Except I woke up when she stuck her nose in my ear and started sniffing and squeaking.:p

My cockatiels, Liberty and Jubilee, do the infamous "let me out dance" which involves dancing back and forth in front of their cage door and LOUDLY calling me when they want me to get up in the morning. It's hard to sleep through the racket but fortunately, they go to bed early (about 6 p.m.) and wait until about 7 a.m. before insisting on my taking them to their "flight cage" from their "sleeping cage".

I ALWAYS hear Liberty's "get up" cry even if my only good ear is on the pillow because it is so high pitched. Some days I awake to "Liberty's a bird" "Liberty's a bird" or "Jubilee is a pretty bird, boy or girl depending on his mood.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ July 15 2005,5:22)]Well i just got one of them alarm clocks that roll onto the ground onn wheels and hide under the bed when the alarm goes off so u cant shut it off when you need to be getting up. I put it on a stand AWAY from my bed beecause it sort of lands on me sometimes if its over my head
Well having it fall on your head just about defeats the purpose as you could use your lightning fast reactions at 7.00 in the morning to catch it and turn it off
smile_m_32.gif

Funch, are you sure?

Nflytrap thats what akes it such a good alarm clock, because i need to get up and out of bed to find it and trun it off... tough theres not much places it can hide from me. Its rather random and often just runs up against against the walls. However lacking the capability of being able to really hide from me, it works wonders for getting me out of bed.

I swear Sugar Gliders are the cutest pets EVER! I want one so bad but they're kind of rare around here, possible illegal to have in Pennsylvania...I hope not. T-T Where did you acquire your sugar glider? I want an exotic pet like a chinchilla or a ferret but my mom is afraid of ferrets but she makes the excuse that "they stink" but I know she's just afraid of the cute little ferrets. Anyways, do you know any really good sites on how to take care of them if I actually find a place that sells them? I'm going to search some info now, I've already read quite a lot about them actually, how they're really shy and you have to bond with them and stuff.

ferrets do stink, even descented ones, fun to play with though. a friend of mine had 3. an absolute blast to play with but they do have an unique smell.

i have chinchillas also. cute but not really a cuddily pet.

i bought my sugar gliders from a breeder going out of buisness. they really arent shy, some just dont care for ppl much but they really arent shy or scared of ppl for the most part. im busy at the moment but if no one else chimes in ill find yah some websites i like later.

Sugar gliders sounds pretty interesting.  I;m going to go look online and see exactly what they look like.  Ferrets do stink and man they are alot of work to keep.  They POOP all the time and god fofbid they get under yout water bed.  Every corner of the support posts will be used for a toilet.  I had drawers under my bed and they figured how to get them open to get under.  Both of mine were from marshel farms and desented and still have a musky oder to them.  Now I just have my two ball pythons.  They require some upkeep but for the most part they are pretty easy. Clean the cage when they crap and feed about every two weeks or sometimes more.  I need to keep a record and feed on a more regular basis but they are just fine and dandy.:p

To bad these cute little guys are illegal in GA darn buracrats!!!! When I can afford two I will get them anyways >;-D

>: D Way to rebel!

I also found a site! It's really good but they are REALLY expensive! I definately won't be getting one anytime soon. www.sugar-gliders.com is the site. I want to get two so they don't get lonely at night. The whole thing is going to cost over $500 for me but I don't plan to get one until I move out, since I already tried convincing my mom to get me one. x.x

I don't care if ferrets stink, I can clean up after them (after having a retarted dog for 3 years that still doesn't completely get going OUTSIDE of the house and a few cats on and off, I think I can handle it!) I'd have to close up part of my room and stuff too. There's tons of places that they'd be able to get under stuff. I've heard that they are fun to play with! A few of my friends have some and I'm sooo jealous! I've only been able to pet one ONCE, ever. At the pet store (I'm trying to get a job there btw) they sometimes have them out in an open pen to pet. They're kinda hard to pet when they're constantly going after your fingers! That just makes them cuter!

$500 to start with for gliders? thats a rip off. gliders run about $100 apiece, getting 2 at the same time is HIGHLY recommended. my lone glider is the exception not the rule. she is one of the few that like to be by theirselves. for caging i use a large bird cage with sides and a roof suitible for finches(wire is thin and close together), i bought mine used and took a pressure washer to it to clean it. i dont see how it would cost more than about $300 to get started with them.

ROFL!!!

No no! I meant about 500 dollars for 2 Sugar Gliders and a starter kit! The gliders are $175 plus $150 for any additional gliders that you get. Unless you get one of the rare ones.

Back