What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane rita

• Thread starter nrbelex
  • Start date
Not lookin' good for Galveston

205648W_sm.gif

NY Times: Rita Strengthens to Category 5 as It Moves Across Gulf

Anybody nearby wanna give their perspective?
Good luck!  
confused.gif

~ Brett

Just what FEMA and the American Red Cross need now.
confused.gif
A Cat 5. Not to mention that whole gulf coast area AND the relocated Katrina victims.

What a terrible hurricane season we're having. I heard that four more storms and they will have to resort to the greek alphabet for names.

Yea that's true. Got so many storms they ran out of names! I'd like to slap some of the people who fought so fiercely against the idea of climate change. It's real, and it's global! I would whole heartedly sugdest that everybody fill up on gas now. I care about you all, and want you to be saved from the jump in gas prices that will occur
biggrin.gif

I just did and told all my family too also - they're predicting the same type of gas price gouging as post-Katrina.

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'd like to slap some of the people who fought so fiercely against the idea of climate change.  It's real, and it's global!

Hurricane activity cannot be linked so definitely to climate change. Over the last decade there have actually been fewer cyclones and typhoons worldwide, although more have reached category 4 and 5. The exception is the North Atlantic where there have been more frequent and stronger hurricanes. You're looking at a fairly narrow corridor of water here, stretching from west Africa into the Carribbean and Gulf waters. What relationship does an increase in storm activity here, yet a drop elsewhere in the world have with global warming? Localised increases in sea temperature lasting a decade or more are nothing unusual, and America was still getting pummelled by category 5s in the past.

it will probably go back down to a cat. 4 by the time it reaches land.

they should make a Hurricane Clinton.... The Thun-da from down un-da!

We go through periods of different activity levels with hurricanes. I think I heard that we are in a 500 year peak. That means that on average, we have a season like this season every 500 years. This whole decade is in that peak. So we still have a few more years of this. The last 20 years have been a low period. Meaning less storms. The peak started around 1996. There are two factors that make hurricanes. One is of course water temps. The other is rainfall on the east cost of Africa. If They have a dry winter, we have less hurricane, and if they have a wet winter we have more.

Most of what I said above is from sothing I read once and I typed it from memory, so it may not be 100% true.

Climate change isn't only storms. Our ozone is decreasing, and temps are rising in areas, and lowering in areas where it shouldn't. In other words, the climate is changing, and it may not be so much "global" warming. You do know our polar caps are melting at a frightening rate, and there is this peat bog up in the north that's rapidly melting, and as it does it will release literally tons of methane which will make our atmosphere heat up because it's a major greenhouse gas.

I say we should name one after our prez ... for obvious reasons that I shouldnt have to go into.

here we go again! i have lots of family in and around galveston. that's where i grew up. they are all headed this way and are just praying there is something to go back to.

I feel for your family Prizmbatch, I've been in their shoes. I hope everything works out ok.

The Ocean temp has risen by 1 degree over the last 20 years (I think). That is a lot when a storm has 1000's of miles of water to cross and grow. The number of storms is not really related to heat. But the storms grow bigger with the hotter waters. So because we had so many storms this years is not because of the greenhouse effect. The fact that they are stronger than normal may be.

We can only hope for the best.  And hopefully do a much better job of preparing for the worst.

By the way, we've only seen the first small part of the predicted global warming.  Maybe the Category 5 storms of today are the Category 1 storms of 2200.  The evidence for global warming is far more compelling than the "evidence" that "justified" the US spending hundreds of billions of dollars to further destabilize the Middle East.  We should have put that and more into reducing CO2 emissions.

I don't think the major engine of this climate change is due to human technology. I think it's a cycle of the planet, as well as a result of the sun's misbehavior. I predicted when I was about... 12 that the sun would increases in activity (solar flares and such) and that all that energy hitting the earth would cause many things to change. I even drew out a whole map of cause and effect and everything. I'm sure hurricane activity could be connected to the sun as well.

ooh we have another Indigo child on your hands i see.

Good luck, everyone! BTW, they've never had to start using the greek letters before, the hurricanes for the year stopped at 21- just before they started using them. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

LOL, I wish I had the writing ability so that this would come across in the spirit in which I mean it.

But don't be believing you have powers or special abilities.  It isn't healthy.  According to this thread, at the age of 12 you predicted "... the sun would increases in activity (solar flares and such) and that all that energy hitting the earth would cause many things to change."  You also "... drew out a whole map of cause and effect and everything."  In another topic you said you "... have a nack (intuition) for being able to weed out theories and information that aren't right ...."

Maybe you have those abilities.  But, in the entire history of the planet, you'd be the first.  But millions have deluded themselves into thinking they did.  Please don't let yourself become one of them.

"Sigh", this FREAKING sucks.  I am right here in the way of this thing.  I swear God has a heck of a sense of humor.  We JUST started getting the evac's from Louisiana jobs and homes, now WE (Texans) might end up being evac's ourself.  Oh well, I got a 24 pack and plenty of guns.  Bring it on, I'm ready to ride this out.

-Rail

------------------
Edited: This a family site please!

Time for one of my catch phrases

Now, I am not in any way saying I have powers or that I ever did.  I simply had enough foresight to predict a pattern of geophysical events that might play themselves out during my lifetime.  I based this on the research of some scientists and info from the bible.  Will I be right?  Probably not, and hopefuly not.  Hell, I'm only 16, right?
smile_n_32.gif

--------------
Edited; Family site, please!

Losfreddy:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They say Rita is gonna hit the Texas coast and bring winds up to 110 miles in my area and bring flash flooding and tornadoes. the city of Katy is having a Voluntary Evacuation. Everyone is headed east out away from Houston on 90. all the pumps are out of gas or running out of gas and lines flooding out into the street. On top of the pin oak overpass looking onto I-10, there are cars bumper to bumper to as far as the eye can see. I've never seen so many cars. on 99 north it is so backed up, people are stopped and out of their cars. all the guns, toilet paper and water have been cleared off of all the shelfs at wal-mart and go as quickly as they come. Everyone i know is leaving. My cousin to Missouri, my friends to be with their families in other towns. In my house we have bottles of water and gallon jugs filled up. My food dehydrator is filled to capacity preserving all the meat before we loose the freezers. Theres alota of Kerosene lamps candles and lanterns out here. All of our camping gear and First aid kits on the floor in the living room. A giant bucket of matches by the rocking chair. I have my 12 volt recharged. my hurricane light and all the propane cans we can find. I even have a peculator and a portable propane stove so my father and I can have coffee in the mornings after. As the storm approaches, the town i grew up in seems more and more like a ghost town. Please pray for us in Texas as Hurricane Rita comes to the coast. It is the 3rd strongest storm to hit the United States Ever.

Central pressure is down to 897. The record is 888 I believe. Sustained winds of 175mph, gusts to 215mph.

Katrina slightly weakened to a cat 4 as it hit land. Rita is spending more time over the warm Gulf water, so it will possiby be still a cat 5 as it hits land
smile_h_32.gif

Back