What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
I couldn't decide if I wanted to put this here or somewhere else, but it kinda deals with the Nepenthes since the highlands are the trouble makers to begin with.

My vault temperatures are 75 during the day, then 60 at night. Humidity during the day sits at about 50 - 60% but at night goes to 80%. Why does that happen? Is this due to the 'measurement' of humidity fluctuateing with the temperature? Is the same amount of moisture still in the air, but the capacity fluctuating only since the temperatures are changing?

I'm curious if it's that or if the lights and heater are burning off the extra humidity. I'd like to see it at 70% during the day as well, but I'm having trouble bumping it past that level. Night time is no problem though.

Nathan

err mine goes from 75-80%-95% at night ._.
but i think its just the heat difference that causes the fluctuation.

Yeah JLAP told me something like with the heat. Hope he posts.

It happens because cool air holds less water than warm air. You still have the same amount of water vapor in the air (as long as no condensation occurs) but the concentration (%) increases because it can hold less until it warms back up. It's closer to saturation.

The lights and heater burn off the humidity just by virtue of increasing the temp. If you use a humidifier, you have to find a happy setting.you could have it full blast during the day and it would be great, but at night, it will condense everywhere, get into the lights, and they won't turn on (at best) or your house will burn down.

...but at night, it will condense everywhere, get into the lights, and they won't turn on (at best) or your house will burn down.

The vault's under the sidewalk, with cement floor, brick walls with cement, steel ceiling with more cement on top.

It's city property anyway technically... so not too worried about the burning part.

Lol then have at it. If you put distilled water in the humidifier, nothing can happen, but if you use normal water, then a problem is possible. Doesn't seem like anything can happen though since its all masonry

Even if it was distilled water, dirt on the fixture mixed with it can release enough free ions to create a contact in the fixture. ::shrug:: but no biggie 8)

I really need to get a water purifier... anyone know a good cheap one that will last me? I keep buying 2.5 gallon jugs of distilled H2O but lugging that water around is getting old, and cost inefficient.

Back