What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidifiers and thermometers/hyrometers

Thagirion

Budgies are best
What types of thermometers and hyrometers do you guys use. I have four of these guys.

Digital Thermometer Hyrometer by Thagirion3, on Flickr

I like the big easy to read numbers. I have them outside and in different rooms. One's in my tank. That's the only one I worry about with the mist landing on it all the time but so far it hasn't affected the compnents. But I'm sure in time high humidity will break it.

For my humidifer I have a pink tear drop shaped one I named Patrick. The moment I got it out of the box I really thought it looked like him from Spongebob. A few days ago I decided to finally draw a face to really make it look like Patrick. Here's what it looks like now.

Patrick cool mist humidifer by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Hehe, I know those will rip with use and get wet so I may draw up three different templates and have them on hand. This one, an angry one and a scared or sad one. I like this humidifer. It works great for my little 20 gallon that I have.

So what do you guys use? Is there a thermometer you use in your tanks that can resits the high humidity?

I saw your thread on that. You've got a wonderful custom made grow rack. Since I'm only using it on a small tank I'm quite pleased with the output when it's on all the way. My little tank becomes totally white.

Hehe Franken Partrick. I like it. I'll have to learn how you did that and buy another one to experiment on in case I totaly break it. I hope it's not too hard to do.

I saw your thread on that. You've got a wonderful custom made grow rack. Since I'm only using it on a small tank I'm quite pleased with the output when it's on all the way. My little tank becomes totally white.

Hehe Franken Partrick. I like it. I'll have to learn how you did that and buy another one to experiment on in case I totaly break it. I hope it's not too hard to do.

:) no not hard at all actually. Surprisingly the output on the fan in the board is exactly what is needed for a larger PC fan (12v, 0.130mA or so) so it is an easy swap. But you need a larger "bottom" for it as it would be hard to fit the fan in the old one. And also, cut out the grill on the intake and exhaust, you will see improvement even with currently installed fan.

Good luck!

For thermometers/hygrometers I am using a similar model, an Extech hygro-thermometer
QVTIMG20050914130532349.jpg

I have a couple of these placed in different areas of my indoor grow space. I have used a couple dozen different brands and models over the years and these actually have some longevity. The numbers also appear to be spot on in most cases. The best feature is the probe that allows you to keep the screen and components separate from the grow area. A lot of thermometers/hygrometers have crapped out on me when humidity goes above 90%.

For humidification I am currently using an Air-O-Swiss AOS 7144.
7144.jpg

You can dial in the humidity you would like to maintain and let it be in my case I have 80% programmed. It also allows has a bunch of features that keep the existing mist clean and germ free which helps in a closed environment. I have used many humidifiers and this one seems to work this best, though it is quiet pricey; any more expensive and you mind as well purchase a greenhouse humidifier or fogger.

Other equipment that I have found that works well for indoor chambers is the ZooMed HygroTherm which allows you to control humidity and temperature in an enclosed area. I have mine hooked up to a MistKing Misting System as a second line of defense against humidity drops, the first being the AOS humidifier. The hygrometer on the ZooMed is not correct from what I have seen, it tends to report higher humidity then my other hygrometers, so I program in a higher humidity setting like 95% to maintain the 80% bottom end. For cooling I have hooked up a window air conditioner to the unit that kicks in at 77° during the day and cools down to 53° at night. Once again I the temp seems to be a little off as well, but nothing serious.

Hope that helps.

Very nice gear. I like that your thermometer has a prob. Is it expensive because of that? That is definitely a neat humidifer. I like that you can program it. Thanks for sharing.

Back