What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

humidifer water

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
I just recently starting using a humidifier in my grow area to increase RH. Before even thinking about I filled it up and starting running it in the room. I have well water so no chemicals added.

do you all use pure water in your humidifiers or does it matter? I cant make up my mind if it really matters and my rain water is too precious.

I used to use distilled water for everything but I now use tap water, which here (southern CT) is low in dissolved solids, for all but my most sensitive plants. I also use tap water in my humidifier, with no ill effects. Unless the mist from the humidifier is wetting your plants and leaving mineral residue, it probably doesn't matter.

I used to use distilled water for everything but I now use tap water, which here (southern CT) is low in dissolved solids, for all but my most sensitive plants. I also use tap water in my humidifier, with no ill effects. Unless the mist from the humidifier is wetting your plants and leaving mineral residue, it probably doesn't matter.

thanks, this was exactly what I was thinking. I don't have it blowing across the plants. just enough to raise the RH.

Depends on what sort of humidifier it is. If it's a typical evaporative humidifier, that uses a cloth wick and a fan, distilled water is still preferable, as the minerals from your well water will clog up the wick over several weeks. I wouldn't worry at all about anything getting on your plants, though. Most contaminants will be too heavy to go airborne with the evaporated water.

(Edit) Sorry, seems like you're using a misting system? In that case just use your judgement. Some contaminants will land on the leaves and accumulate, but it should still take quite a while before it causes any problems unless the media is getting saturated with it, which it sounds like it's not. Remember that some fine sprayer heads are susceptible to getting clogged with particulate. I use really cheap heads bought in bulk on Amazon though, which don't use a screen, and come apart for cleaning if you want, or can simply be replaced for about $.75.

Last edited:
Depends on what sort of humidifier it is. If it's a typical evaporative humidifier, that uses a cloth wick and a fan, distilled water is still preferable, as the minerals from your well water will clog up the wick over several weeks. I wouldn't worry at all about anything getting on your plants, though. Most contaminants will be too heavy to go airborne with the evaporated water.

(Edit) Sorry, seems like you're using a misting system? In that case just use your judgement. Some contaminants will land on the leaves and accumulate, but it should still take quite a while before it causes any problems unless the media is getting saturated with it, which it sounds like it's not. Remember that some fine sprayer heads are susceptible to getting clogged with particulate. I use really cheap heads bought in bulk on Amazon though, which don't use a screen, and come apart for cleaning if you want, or can simply be replaced for about $.75.

this is a super cheap evaporative humidifier. found it in the closet and decided to give it a shot. might be cheaper to replace the wick than buy distilled water. i will splurge and get a newer ultrasonic one over the weekend if i decide to keep it up. i want one with more control because the area i am trying to increase is a very small area. i believe the nicer ones have more control than just on/off.

Generally speaking, the drawback to using well water or tap water is the mineral buildup which occurs in the humidifier. The filters get crusty (and thus become less and less effective) -- how quickly depends upon your water and how quickly you use it up. I believe the ultrasonic ones always have probs with mineral buildup

Back