What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to grow Orchidioides

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 20 2006,12:02)]Yes Pyro thanks for the info!!  Where could I obtain a full list of species Utrics?
Savage Garden and CP's of the World do a good job of listing them.

Jim, have you actually seen a list of Utric species? SG dont come close! there are over 200 species!

List of Utric species

not sure how accurate this is but it should be pretty close

Wow Thanks Sheridan! That is one LONG list. Time to start collecting LOL and see how many I can get checked off the list
smile_n_32.gif

lol there are a nice chunk of them that are annuals that you will prolly never see. good luck though, i had almost 40 of them at one time with no aquatic species. i would guess with alot of patients you could round up 1/2 of them

I'm happy to report my U. reinformis (it's some kind of small form) stolon cuttings are producing photosynthetic stolons! I didin't expect it to live in my lowland conditions but it is!

J P orchid guy says:Wow Thanks Sheridan! That is one LONG list. Time to start collecting LOL and see how many I can get checked off the list >>>>

Only 180 more for me to collect.
Lois

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Sep. 21 2006,9:57)]Jim, have you actually seen a list of Utric species? SG dont come close! there are over 200 species!

List of Utric species

not sure how accurate this is but it should be pretty close
I forgot about Taylor's list and book. I only have the other two books. I only have about 190 to go!

JLAP,

At a guess you have the 'Enfant Terribles' form. I have both my reniformis clones growing outdoors here when weather permits. This species, I have found, is more flexable in its temperature tolerance than others in these groups.

Rattler, I think that even 1/2 would be a challenge. Tim Malcolm was at it for years and I don't think he had that many. Many of the species are just radically obscure or in impossible places or never collected. Heck, I only have 41 of them and I have not been slack about going after them.

really? i had in the mid thirties without any aquatics and did that without breathing hard and was sure of the ID's of all but a couple. the first 40 must just be fairly easy to find. figured with a bit of luck and some connections you could hit 100 of them and after that it would get extreamly difficult. but youve been at this longer than i have so i believe yah..............dont know if i want 40 of them again, heck of a headache keeping them from invading each other, think im going to stick to the ones i like instead of one of everything.

Sheridan that might be a good idea. Its just hard for a colector not to want them all at one point in time.

Pyro the U. reniformis 'Enfant Terribles', is it suposed to be grown in peat standing in water like I do with the rest of them? It is growing for me and the leaves seem small so I am glad to hear thats waht it is suposed to be. It has been growing out in the GH with the rest of mine in peat. It looked like thats what it came in when I got the plug. That and some carpet moss growing over the top too. So I just plopped it in some peat. I lost all the leaves that came with it, but its growing new ones so I think its ok. Atleast thats what I think it growing there LOL.

Thanks again BobZ!!

if thats what i do indeed have, i grow it in lfs like nepenthes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Pyro the U. reniformis 'Enfant Terribles', is it suposed to be grown in peat standing in water like I do with the rest of them? It is growing for me and the leaves seem small so I am glad to hear thats waht it is suposed to be. It has been growing out in the GH with the rest of mine in peat. It looked like thats what it came in when I got the plug. That and some carpet moss growing over the top too. So I just plopped it in some peat. I lost all the leaves that came with it, but its growing new ones so I think its ok. Atleast thats what I think it growing there LOL.

Thanks again BobZ!!

take that to mean you got the reniformis from BobZ? granted only Bob would know but 2 or 3 years back he sent me a Utric labled "U. reniformis(small form, possibly nephrophylla)" not sure if its the same you recieved but if it is it grew quite well for me in wet peat. i lost it though i dont remember exactly how. anyways it definatly bigger than any nephrophylla i had and was quite a bit smaller than the reniformis i have now. i had it about a year and didnt get it to bloom...............cant remember if it was a victem of the "plant stand collapse" or the "mouse invasion" but it grew quite well when i had it.

get ahold of 20 different Utric species, keep them all in the same tray and than do everything in your power to keep them in their own pots...............you will prolly loose interest in haveing one of each
smile_n_32.gif
i know i did. im sticking with the macro utrics and the larger flowered terrestrials. course aureomaculata doesnt fit either group and i like it to, got a new growing technique im going to try for it and sandersonii

Well putting the 2 liter soda bottle(with the bottom cut off) over a 4 ' pot ,doesn't workto keep them separate.
Someone escaped through the drainage holes in the bottom of the 4 inch pot and is growing quite nicely, acquaticly, if there is such a word.I think it is U gramnifolia.
Well it worked for awhile, at least 18 months.

Lois

Whatever it is, U.longifolia sure does grow on windowsills... in Canada, and for me, at least
smile.gif

i agree... i took mine out of my terrarium and it is doing much better.
Alex

I put mine outside and it turned purple
biggrin.gif

Back