What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does one get unadicted?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 05 2006,7:29)]I'm less bothered about someone being addicted to caffeine (or whatever) than I am about someone boasting about it.
ah. yes very true. if you look at it being addicted to anything isnt really somthing to be proud of. good thing im not! well....except for plants haha.
Alex

Stop boasting about your addiction, Alex.
biggrin.gif

geeze..sorry
smile_n_32.gif

Im going to try so hard this weekend... its gonna suck...

Freaking home coming too...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Oct. 02 2006,9:49)]Im seriously addicted to mountain dew.

I havent had any caffine in the past 2 days... and im sweating... im stressed out, dry throaght... and headachs on and off.

Do I have to go through this to get unadicted to mountaindew?
I kill for "Diet Mt. Dew." It is so good.

My sister was once addicted to caffeine (mostly because of drinking high amounts of Pepsi products) and when she would go 12 hours she would get serious headaches. Don't remember what she did to get over that problem.

xvart.

The headaches go away after a few days and then the addiction's history. It's as simple as that.

Caffeine gives me headaches. I guess I lucked out. Or maybe that's the response someone has when they're finally fully detoxed? It didn't happen when I was a kid.

Someone who drinks more than a couple cups of coffee a day can get a headache if trying to go a day without it.  And some headache medicines contain caffeine.

One of the coffee junkies at work says the addictive amount is 4-5 cups per day.  That's coffee pot cups, so a couple 12 oz mugs could be enough.  It happened to me when I switched the coffee in my two cups to more than half decaf.  I also was sleepy in the afternoon for a week or two.  But I didn't like that dependency thing.

By the way, a convenience store I stopped in last week had a pot of "extra caffeine" coffee.  I just don't understand where all this road rage is coming from.

unnadicted? its like smoking guys...you NEVER become unadicted. you jsut resist the urge. if you smkoed and then you quit. 30 years later you tried another for i dono lets say a party. right then you are back where you started. reformed smokers will tell you truthfully that they crave ciggs almost everyday....
Alex

Aaaaaahhhh!!!

Caffeine and nicotine aren't the same. People don't need a fix of caffeine ever 10 minutes like nicotine.

Addiction and dependence aren't the same. I guess you could say i'm dependent on caffein, because I need it to get going. I don't crave it, so i'm not addicted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 08 2006,11:44)]I guess you could say i'm dependent on caffein, because I need it to get going. I don't crave it, so i'm not addicted.
Not addicted?! Pull my other leg now so I won't walk in circles.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 08 2006,7:14)]One of the coffee junkies at work says the addictive amount is 4-5 cups per day. That's coffee pot cups, so a couple 12 oz mugs could be enough. It happened to me when I switched the coffee in my two cups to more than half decaf. I also was sleepy in the afternoon for a week or two. But I didn't like that dependency thing.
I had a crazy politics teacher in high school that would drink an entire pot of coffee before our "zero hour" class and then an entire other pot throughout the rest of the morning. Her name was Ms. Bailey and one day a friend of mine asked her if she put baileys liquour in her coffee and boy did she hit the roof.

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Oct. 08 2006,2:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 08 2006,11:44)]I guess you could say i'm dependent on caffein, because I need it to get going. I don't crave it, so i'm not addicted.
Not addicted?!  Pull my other leg now so I won't walk in circles.  
confused.gif
Hmmm.. I think that's only for me to say
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 08 2006,1:16)]Hmmm.. I think that's only for me to say
smile.gif
You did. Read your statement carefully.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 08 2006,11:44)]Addiction and dependence aren't the same. I guess you could say i'm dependent on caffein, because I need it to get going. I don't crave it, so i'm not addicted.
"...I need it to get going."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 08 2006,11:44)]Addiction and dependence aren't the same.
Quite true.

Addiction: to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively. Eg. addicted to gambling. It can be fun and exciting, but you don't need gambling to live. You might even be better off without it.

Dependant: the quality or state of needing something or someone. Eg. a diabetics need for insulin to maintain their blood sugar levels. Take away their insulin and they could die.

Are you addicted to caffeine or dependant on it? You can call it dependant if you want, but it's still an addiction if it's something that you can live without if it's taken away.

Back