What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you ship big Nepenthes?

I regularly ship Cephalotus and Heliamphora without much trouble but I need to ship some large Nepenthes, one is about 13" across. Any tips?

IMG_3386.JPG

Wrap the roots in moist paper towels and put a rubber band arond it. Place plant in a big Ziplock, filled with air. Place bag in a box that will hold a lot of packing peanuts. It will still be very light, even though the box will be relatively large.

Wrap the roots in some LFS and then enclose that in a bag/syran wrap. Tape that securely shut, then put the vegetative part of the plant in a bag that has been sprayed for humidity. Line the bottom of the box with peanuts, newspaper, moss, or some packing material. Place the plant inside and then make sure that it is thoroughly surrounded with as much packing material as possible.

Once the box is sealed, you should be able to shake the box without feeling any movement from inside.

Get a big box. LOL.

But seriously... I do pretty much what dexenthes does except for that I also use tape to secure the plant package directly in the middle of the box. So that basically if you removed the peanuts, it would still be hanging there suspended in the middle of the box by tape. This gives extra support in the event of blunt force trauma, dropping, etc.

Not sure if it is needed with peanuts since they are so good at preventing shifting, but it really helps if you don't have peanuts and have to use newspaper or plastic grocery bags or something.

Back