What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you protect rhizomes from squirrels?

• Thread starter thez_yo
  • Start date

thez_yo

instigator
Now that I'm joining the ranks of people who can grow their plants in their back yards, I want my plants to continue being not eaten. Deer mesh over the ground if you have an in-ground minibog? Floating cover like for strawberries? Take your chances and plants suddenly going missing? Please give advice! Also wondering about VFTs too.

A 12 gauge and a rocking chair :devilish:

yes, mesh is the best. I don't have a bog garden, but grow in a trough. Squirrels aren't a problem, except for Dionaea. Birds, on the other hand, wreak havoc on Sphagnum, and Sarracenia seedlings. I use a mesh when I can. I don't have any problems with adult plants, but if I did, I'd certainly use a wire mesh of some sort.

Some years ago I had a friendly squirrel that was a frequent visitor in and out of the house ( it came in the cat flap). She also terrorised the local cats. She chased the local alpha Tom so hard one evening he had a heart attack. With our own cat there was an armistice.

Skwirl.jpg

At that time I had a large collection of Dactylorhiza outside and she liked to bury her nuts in their tubs. The answer was to make chicken mesh covers.

Tom *Richard* and Harry.

TDH.jpg

Long tub squirrel guards.

SQGuards.jpg

Last edited:
Back