What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you feed seedlings?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Oct. 23 2005,2:17)]But if thats the case, why do they start making carnivorus leaves so early in life?  I thought plants needed light, water, air, and nutrients to survive, but since LFS prolly has little to none they have to make carnivorus leaves early in life to make up for it.  I did find that one of the sundews grabbed hold of something in the LFS but it's way to small for me to tell if it's a bug or not.  All four of it's tentacles are meeting at a point off the leaf so maybie it got something
smile.gif

-Rail
it dosn't matter. the reason they are green at all and not white or yellow or somthing is becasue they go thru photosythesis. sunlight is needed for this .so even the CP trape-like leaf is meant to eat bugs, because it is green it has to be going thru photosythesis. it just must get extra nutrition thru bugs. try findin really high grass and look at the base and roots of it. often, they are discolored and not very green becasue they dont get enough sunlight.

nutrition facts of goldfish flakes, from the back of the label...

crude protien -34%
crude fat -4%
Crude fiber -4%
moisture -4%
ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) -200mg/kg

how can this be compared to the diet of CPs in Nautre?
ex.) nutritnal facts of a flies

One thing to consider is that what we provide is an approximation of what happens in nature. We aren't duplicating indigeonous conditions, outside of people growing Darlingtonia or Sarracenia, etc... in their backyard, near where they normally grow. What I'm getting at is that rain washed away dead material and provides cleansing that we don't in our setups. Dead material, algae, and mold aren't a problem in nature (generally speaking). With ours, we have be more proactive. It's similar to tropical fish and ich or bacterail infections that wipeout fishtanks. It doesn't happen in the Amazon Basin or the ocean. So if fishfood lands on the media, we have to deal with it. If it landed in a bog, it wouldn't be a problem.

CopcarFC, let me know how it goes with the red food flake feeding oh and by the way please if anyone uses fish food or of the sort make sure theres no Ethoxyquin or BHA as these are dangerous chemicals if it can harm our much loved pets it can probably harm the live plants as well...

losfreddy, flies have protien, crude fat, there not much of a soucre of fiber thats for sure but are loaded with moisture and some vitamin content not much though. So i dont see why feeding with a high quality fish food thats chemical and mineral/salt free that it wouldnt be good for our CPs, when in fact it could be very good for them and people just havent studied it enough to know for sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 24 2005,4:20)]One thing to consider is that what we provide is an approximation of what happens in nature. We aren't duplicating indigeonous conditions, outside of people growing Darlingtonia or Sarracenia, etc... in their backyard, near where they normally grow. What I'm getting at is that rain washed away dead material and provides cleansing that we don't in our setups. Dead material, algae, and mold aren't a problem in nature (generally speaking). With ours, we have be more proactive. It's similar to tropical fish and ich or bacterail infections that wipeout fishtanks. It doesn't happen in the Amazon Basin or the ocean. So if fishfood lands on the media, we have to deal with it. If it landed in a bog, it wouldn't be a problem.
Very good point Jim, i think if someone was feeding this way if they could figure out a way to slip say maybe a thin paper between/around the growing edge of the plant and its soil to catch any falling particals of food and carefully remove it as to per say not spill any fallen particals it could help to stop it from landing on the soil causing any mold/fungal probs later on. I know im just rambling off at the mouth..
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Oct. 24 2005,4:38)]Very good point Jim, i think if someone was feeding this way if they could figure out a way to slip say maybe a thin paper between/around the growing edge of the plant and its soil to catch any falling particals of food and carefully remove it as to per say not spill any fallen particals it could help to stop it from landing on the soil causing any mold/fungal probs later on. I know im just rambling off at the mouth..
smile_l_32.gif
Actually, this is a good point if you're feeding regularly with either fishfood or spray (foliar feeding). As Jim noted, the terrarium environment is not equivalent to the plant's original home and is more susceptible to outbreaks of organisms we don't want.

An ounce of prevention sure beats trying to cure an outbreak of.... and it's pretty easy to slide a paper under the leaf in most cases.

Letting nature take her course always worked for me. And CCFC, your plants, sarrs included WILL be eating insects you can't even see! They do well on their own, living their lives. They did it an awful long time before we came along. There are indeed insects at all times of the year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 24 2005,8:55)]Letting nature take her course always worked for me. And CCFC, your plants, sarrs included WILL be eating insects you can't even see! They do well on their own, living their lives. They did it an awful long time before we came along. There are indeed insects at all times of the year.
I understand, but keep in mind these plants are in my room, not out in nature. I plan on putting them outside next year when my other plants come out of dormancy. Until then I am convinced that they need something to eat. Judging by the reaction I have received from the baby sundews (Rapid tentacle movement after feeding) I think they appreciate it. The Sarr's are far from eating anything, most of them are just now growing their first pitcher.

-Rail

Back