What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I water my greenhouse plants during the winter?

First winter with a greenhouse, and I was told to let the ponds dry out, so the plants aren't standing in water. That's fine, but what happens when/if the plants dry out? Given that they won't get any rain in there, if we have some warm days (which does sometimes happen!), they will dry out.

Any advice? Thanks

You just water less. let the 'ponds' dry out a couple of days or so before watering and keep the refill level lower. Ensure that you keep a good air circulation and maximum light. Air circulation(fresh) and light are far more important in my view than insulation. Unless of course you're going to dip down to extremes below 0F

You just water less. let the 'ponds' dry out a couple of days or so before watering and keep the refill level lower.
Do I water the same way as usual, ie putting the water in the pond rather than from the top?

Ensure that you keep a good air circulation and maximum light. Air circulation(fresh) and light are far more important in my view than insulation.
Ventilation isn't a problem, as I've left the window open. I can't do anything about the light, as I don't have any electricity in there. They get whatever daylight is around.

Unless of course you're going to dip down to extremes below 0F
Erm, did you mean 0C? 0F is -18C! Thankfully we don't get that very often here!

Thanks Fred.

Bottom water as standard.

Daylight is good. Just don't degrade it with bubble. Open vent is good

I meant 0F :-O. I did say extremes. :angel: The vast majority of CPs will take far lower temperatures than many will believe, probably because they've never allowed their own plants (themselves) to experience them. 0F (-18C) is in itself extreme and although it's not advisable to let the plants experience it quite so low, an amazing amount will still survive this, albeit with a little set back.

Sorry, never got a notification for your reply. Thanks for the help Fred. Sounds like I'm doing the right things already.

Back