What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are the divisions going for you?

im still in the process of doing many of them...
so far ive divided S. dana's delight, s. psittacina, s. flava, s. purpurea, s. judith hindle, s. scarlet belle, d. californica, and some VFTs.

im still in the process of doing many of them...
so far ive divided S. dana's delight, s. psittacina, s. flava, s. purpurea, s. judith hindle, s. scarlet belle, d. californica, and some VFTs.

I too am doing divisions and re-potting a few of my plants -- H. folliculata, H. nutans "Giant," a nice hefty S. oreophylla (which I got from the BACPS thingy last Saturday), and my annual futzing around with the various Dionaea cultivars. Strangely, one of my smaller VFTs -- a "Slack Giant" x "Big Mouth" -- from last year has a corm the size of a walnut. It's like a frigging iceberg . . .

lol Bella!
one of the VFTs i repotted yesterday was about an inch and a half in diameter, but had a 7" root system.
i just divided my S. flava that i picked up last year as a 2 year old seedling, got 6 nice divisions from it, all with their own growth tips. hoping they all survive :|
couple of my darlingtonia popped off without roots, but ive grown them from divisions without roots anyway, just potted them straight into a pot full of live LFS.
so far my division count is pretty nice considering my small sarra collection and stands as this so far
10x S. purpurea from 4 plants
12x S. Judith Hindle from 6 plants
6x S. flava var unknown, possibly maxima. from one plant
5x S. Dana's Delight from one plant
2x S. Scarlet Belle from 1 plant
5x S. psittacina from 1 plant
?x VFT 'typical' from 9 plants, just split the hell out of them, so many plantlets LOL
4x S. rubra ssp gulfensis from 1 plant
3x darlingtonia from one plant, left 3 growth points on the main plant

I lost almost all of my 7 Sars, just had one that made it, and another that I wasn't totally convinced was a goner (psittacina x leucophylla), so I potted it up with its replacement just in case. It hasn't done anything, so today I pulled it up to get rid of it, and when I pulled apart the rhizome to be absolutely sure before I tossed it, there were small green points! Luckily, both parts had roots, so I planted them both back up, and now I have 3. Nice surprise for the day.

I've heard that when flytraps are in smaller pots, they grow larger traps and smaller root systems, and vice versa for larger pots. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Not too much dividing on Sarracenia for me... Just a 'Judith Hindle' into two big plants. Probably could have gotten at least 3 out of it but I didn't feel like it.

The flytrap I divided isn't doing too well. The rhizome is still looking ok, but all of the growth has died back. I'm probably going to end up losing at least one. (but cross your fingers...)

Wow looks like a lot more dividing here then I had to do:

S. purp ssp venosa
S. rubra ssp rubra
D. californica
D. muscipula
B-52s

Should have a lot though next winter thanks to everyone on here trading and donating!

I've heard that when flytraps are in smaller pots, they grow larger traps and smaller root systems, and vice versa for larger pots. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Not too much dividing on Sarracenia for me... Just a 'Judith Hindle' into two big plants. Probably could have gotten at least 3 out of it but I didn't feel like it.

The flytrap I divided isn't doing too well. The rhizome is still looking ok, but all of the growth has died back. I'm probably going to end up losing at least one. (but cross your fingers...)

That's a bit of a myth.

They are all relatively small plants with long roots which don't appreciate crowding for too long. I had heard that view quite a while ago, and experimented with identically-sized / aged plants (most from the same batch of seed) in the past; and there seems to be no correlation between having a smaller pot size and an corresponding increase in trap length. There was no significant difference with either group . . .

Give the plants some room . . .

Mostly done already... did some in the late Fall and most in the early Winter. I guess I've got some pots of VFT cuttings and such that could use parting out. And I still have a few odd Sarrs that I didn't have new pots for, some S. rubras and minors and such. Right now it's my herb starts that are next to be repotted - I've got mint cuttings like crazy.
~Joe

i divided my S. minor, leucophylla "Titan", rubra "long lid", leuco "HCW", and something else...good luck y'all!

Back