What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S_Oregon_CP

Bio is my life!
I bought this greenhouse at Fred Meyers in Beaverton Oregon for 47.99 for my GF to grow vegetables and flowers in the house. Well we finaly did the right things and gave my HL Neps a proper cooling at night. We ended up moving and now have a huge garden so she doesnt use it anymore. So my Ultra/Highland/ and some Intermediate Neps moved in.

Here are some pictures and a list of what I currently grow in there.

P4041354.jpg

P4041353.jpg

P3210660.jpg

P3271153.jpg

Currently in GH. Skipped numbers are of intermediate or Lowlands.

1. Nepenthes rajah (Ultra Highland)
2. Nepenthes lowii Trasmadi (Ultra Highland)
3. Nepenthes sibuyanensis (Highland)
4. Nepenthes ephippiata (Highland)
5. Nepenthes khasiana ( HL Intermediate)
13. Nepenthes densiflora (Highland)
14. Nepenthes fusca (Highland)
16. Nepenthes truncata from Pasian ( HL Intermediate)
19. Nepenthes stenophylla from Bareo (Highland)
22. Nepenthes mikei (HL intermediate)
23. Nepenthes spectablis (Highland)
24. Nepenthes talengensis (Highland)

OOOOOOOH whats the mist made from?

OOOOOOOH whats the mist made from?

Remember you and I were talking about a certain vivarium dealer had them on sale for 20.00 dollars. It is a ultrasonic fog machine. Its cool but hard to utilize. I lower it into a mason jar and it works for about a half hour or so until it needs to be filled. by then everyone is misted nicely.

rajah is ultra highland

aaddaam:
no it is not
it extends up into ultrahighland areas but is NOT an ultrahighland plant.

O well I grow them as Highlanders and they are putting out basals and pitchers so I win! hahahah

Thank you though for the corrections. I know all these words are common usage and easy to spell so I will try to be more dilligent in my hobby...

lol glad to hear your having luck with these plants Oregon :)
glad there is more NW US growers starting to pop up

Now to propagate them for trading! I am all ears in this department.

what is your cooling method?

I cool them by the lights turning off and during the summer I use cold water in the trays. Plus I live in Oregon and most nights are below 60 so its usually not bad. It is only 90 plus around here maybe 3 weeks out of the year so that is not a problem either. But i keep the plants at around 80 degrees with 70 percent humidity during the day to 60 degrees in the night with 90 percent humidity. If you need to cool your plants I would suggest a fogger or an a/c unit that does not kill humidity.

Neat-o. Poor N. rajah. :<

Is that one of those 4 tier thingys with the zip up plastic cover?

What sort of lights are in there? I've been too chicken to put lights inside of my enclosures not knowing if extreme humidity would jack them up.

ilbasso i have one of those racks with lights in them
humidity has not caused an issue at all.

Looking good!

I keep my growrack nearly entirely enclosed (it gets plenty of fresh air) and my humidity is about 70% in the day and about 90 - 95% at night. Other than a few minor rust spots on the outside of one fixtures that is near the humidifier outlet, I haven't had any issues with them. However, my metal rack itself is showing a lot of rust!

the rack I have is covered in a thick green paint that is very rubbery so it doesnt rust either. My N. rajah looked super bad here because I just got more lights so I could have 2 grow areas. My lowii trusmadi did fine in lowland conditions and even pitchered and put up leaves in my lowland tank. I now have a whole new leaf. My N jamban is doing very well that I recieved this week as is my villosa.

60 degree's is your nighttime temp?

Ill be interested in seeing exactly for long how the villosa fairs in those temps... or at least what the growth rate is...

I believe I read that typically Ultra Hlers that are grown in HL conditions while they still grow do so at much slower rate than those getting "ultra HL" conditions...

I am interested to see what happens as well. I do not think another 5 to 10 degrees drop would be that beneficial. my day time temps are atleast 85 F now and it drops down to 60 F. Unless I put it in a fridge at night at 50 F I dont think I will be able to get any cooler than 60. I often hear in cultivation that 10-20 degrees in night time temp drops is more than most hobbyists provide. All you UHL growers can chime in. I will eventually need to have a cooler chamber during the summer when the night time does not drop into the 60's. Wish me luck! I also just read that villosa does not like temperatures above 70. this plants is so cool :)

I'm actually working on building portable cooling plates, to assist with attaining those ultra hl temps. i've almost got one going, I'm sure to post photo's if I can get it to work properly...

i have another rigged Ultratank in my room that i've been working with, gave it a full test run last night and I got temps all the way down to 45 degrees...

I think the fun of building the setup rivals the growing for me sometimes. :)

just interested in seeing how your guys do in those temps is all, its good info...

I think 5-10 degrees for alot of growers could make a world of difference...but I could be wrong.

Nice I am very interested to hear about your ideas. Yeah I spend hours reorganizing everything and inventing better ways to do things. My only problem right now is that when faced with buying new items besides plants I always choose more plants. I have to control myself better. :) I am also planning on making my own small greenhouse that will support the use of an a/c and heater system. Good luck and thanks.

Some pictures of my new plants

N. jamban from BE
P4171646.jpg

P4161525.jpg

P4161526.jpg

P4171638.jpg

N. villosa from BE
P4171634.jpg

P4171626.jpg

My tribute to the hybrid N x ventrata and its lovely parentals.
P4171649.jpg

My N. alata on top.
P4091362.jpg

N. x ventrata in the middle.
N. ventricosa on the bottom.
P4091365.jpg

My best lowii pitcher yet
P3210637.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Back