What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland and Lowland neps in same tank?

I have a 55 gallon tank and want to add a few more neps to my collection

The temps in the terrarium range from the mid-to-high 60's inthe evening to the low-to-mid 80's during the day.

I have a ventricosa in there that is doing great.

It seems like this temp range is kind of right in the middle of both high and low neps...

Do you think both types will do ok in this environ?

Specifically, I am ordering the following plants:

Nepenthes ampullaria - Spotted
Nepenthes gymnamphora
Nepenthes lowii
Nepenthes rafflesiana
Nepenthes sibuyanensis

Ventricosa & Rafflesiana at around 75 should be a fine compromise. But I don't think the true High Landers are gonna like yer terrarium in the summertime... might want to make it into a dedicated LL tank with the temps you have.

get bongso................it will love those conditions and go nuts and produce spectacular pitchers

Ugh... all of the best Nepenthes are highlanders. Mother nature throws us hotties a bone once and a while with a plant like N. bicalcarata but she clearly likes the mountains more than the lowlands.

Lucky :censor:

So lemme get this straight...

temps around 65 at night and 85 during the day are going to be better for lowlanders?

I'll need a cooler evening temp for the highlanders but 85 during the day is ok?

I guess what I'm looking for is a detailed description of the terrariums in which you guys keep your highlands and lowlands... details, details, details...

I'm starting to think that my current conditions really aren't optimal for either but instead kind of in the middle of both...

No no no. I was ranting and complaining because I'm just SOOOO good at it.

I can't comment on highlanders since I don't have the right conditions to grow most of them. I can only comment on lowlanders.

ok... so 'fess up... do you keep your lows in a tank? If so, how do you heat 'em? what are the day and night temps?

throw me a friggin bone people (use the dr evil voice for that last sentence)

I didn't know it was a secret? Yes I keep all my my lowlanders in a terrarium. I have a titanium heater in that cuts on in case it gets below 80 degrees. It's lit by a 250 watt metal halide, umm.. 5,200K I think. Maybe 5,500K. The average day temp is in the low 90's. Night time is... I dunno, never looked but I'd say mid 80's. Humidity is about 95%. There is a circulating fan in the terrarium.

It's a bit cool today.

DSC01570.jpg

DSC01562.jpg

DSC01561.jpg

DSC01560.jpg

DSC01558.jpg

Any questions, just ask me. It looks barren but I'm getting more now that I have spring fever. It's only 75 gallons so I'm constantly trading away big ones and replacing them.

JLAP how do you get the humidity so high? is it just with the heater? Thanks

The heater is hardly ever on because it only comes on in case the temp goes below 80 degrees. Like... in the middle of winter at night when the central heat is cut down.

My secret is that I cover it up lol. I just took the acrylic off the top so the fog would go away and I could take pictures lol.

Do you cover it up all the way up? lol im always afraid of covering it up because of fungus.

It's not an airtight and there are some small gaps where the light warped the acrylic (which I need to replace).

A small fan for circulation and good lighting will go a long way against the war on fungi. I'm not striving for that level of humidity, I'd be perfectly happy with 80%. It just happens to always be a steam room in there thanks to the MH. I love MH. I don't know how I survived without it. Definately worth the money.

Ummm.... Oh yeah be sure to keep your water clean. I've got translucent worms that live from the water surface up to 1/2 inch above the surface, Daphnia, springtails, and another creepy crawly. It's totally desgusting. I need to be cleaner but the plants don't care.

Ooo sweet i guess ill start covering it up, Thanks.

Oh, "only" seventy-five gallons huh?
Try using a 5 gal for a while :p

thanks jlap

i had the stupid worms, etc too... i cleaned out all of my water cuz they grossed me out.

So it looks like the heat is coming mostly from your light...

Do you think one of those little seedling heat pads would work well to keep temps above 80 at night?

Also, anyone else have any info on highland terrariums and how to cool/heat as needed?

thanks again everyone... big help!

Jayson,

I keep my 55 gallon tank mostly covered with regular old terrarium canopies. I have 2 terrarium fans in there and the power cords to them cause the canopies to lift a little to let them out in order to be plugged in. The gap in the canopies and the fans allow a little bit of air flow.

That combined with the high levels of lighting seems to take care of any fungus problems.

Ok thanks chris, i got a pretty big piece of plexiglass ill cut to size also a pretty small cpu fan too.

Back