What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hibernaculum question

Last edited:
Its the difference between British and American spelling, I think we use draft for involuntary military call up:) but yeah I meant drought, as for d.hilaris , I have grown it year round and in hot years it has gone into a bud. I have seen an Italian grower flower the plant and his plants experienced a summer dormancy as in a tight bud, haven't seen anyone else flower the plant. If it dies back to the roots I'm not sure if it would have the same explosive growth cistiflora and the like have, so maybe not able to grow enough to flower? If so wouldn't that point towards dying back to the roots as pure survival and not the preferred growth habit? D.regia can be grown year round but without a winter dormancy apparently won't flower

Last edited:
It can Curtis

Draught is the correct English spelling.
Draft is American.

Corky in compulsory enlistment. The American is Draft. The English term would be Conscription.

Its the difference between British and American spelling, I think we use draft for involuntary military call up:) but yeah I meant drought, as for d.hilaris , I have grown it year round and in hot years it has gone into a bud. I have seen an Italian grower flower the plant and his plants experienced a summer dormancy as in a tight bud, haven't seen anyone else flower the plant. If it dies back to the roots I'm not sure if it would have the same explosive growth cistiflora and the like have, so maybe not able to grow enough to flower? If so wouldn't that point towards dieing back to the roots as pure survival and not the preferred growth habit? D.regia can be grown year round but without a winter dormancy apparently won't flower

Useful info, Corky! My biggest D. regia died down to the roots last autumn for some reason, it usually has continued to grow slowly in winter, but now is budding out again. I will certainly be hoping for flowers this year! I've also been enjoying the lesson in British spelling. :D

Useful info, Corky! My biggest D. regia died down to the roots last autumn for some reason

Did it really die back to the roots or to a bud?

I took these this afternoon in response to the above posts. Examples of winter resting buds on Drosera regia.

25686675280_f22c3fb4aa_o.jpg

Wrong, it's the correct spelling of draught AND a typo for drought.

I never said it was an incorrect spelling (though it is not used where I live), but it is the wrong word for the context here.

Concerning regia: mine like to die back from the higher temperatures during summer, and typically all the way to the roots (no buds), but I've never seen them go dormant during winter. How cold does it have to be to trigger that?

I never said it was an incorrect spelling (though it is not used where I live), but it is the wrong word for the context here.

You said it was old English which is wrong, it's modern English.
It was a typo which are not usually commented on.

My Drosera regia start dormancy in late summer/early autumn. The first will lose leaves at the end of August the rest following over six weeks or so. It does appear to be more photo-period rather than temperature. Young plants from root cuttings may not go dormant at all, as has happened this year.

Last edited:
Did it really die back to the roots or to a bud?

Thanks for the nice photos of the resting buds, Fred. Here is what I was able to do without using a tripod.

P3227245%20-%20Copy.jpg

The bud is only about 1 cm. tall and I'm guessing that it is newly-formed. I'm just relieved to see something come back!

Back