What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Smokers:

I was just thinking about how when I was growing up my uncle had tons of plants overflowing his apartment (like mine is now) and he always used to ash his cigarrettes into different plant pots. He didn't put 'em out in there just "tap" the ciggarette on the pots brim and the ash would fall on the soil. He claimed it was a good source of potash for plants.
What do you all think of this?

I don't know about cigarrette ash, or the use of ash at all with CP. But we have always emptied the fireplace into our gardens.

Ash from the fireplace also works well for melting snow and ice. A bit unsightly but the dark color absorbs more heat from the sun.

my grandmother used to put cigarette butts in her plants' pots as an insect repellent. nicotine is a natural insecticide (as i've learned in my biology classes).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ June 04 2006,3:06)]nicotine is a natural insecticide (as i've learned in my biology classes).
Just being around the stuff give me a headache and a sore throat. It's a natural repellant for me a well!

Cigarettes are said to be a great source of tobacco mosaic virus to infect tomato plants. It might be a race between plant and owner to see who drops first.

Would It survive the Heating of the leaves in the Cig, though?

Nicotine is so incredibly toxic I wonder if there's anything it wouldn't kill or repel (besides smokers).

Benzene, formaldehyde, acetone, nicotine, ammonia and hydogen cyanide are all present in the smoke and probably the ash. It may take you 20 or 30 years to suffer, but it may take a lot less for a root sensitive carnivorous plant!

Always remember children, flush your pots out well! Same goes for humans, I heard this Japanese guy smokes something like 30 a day but a few cups of green tea cleanses his insides, allowing him to do some incredible things (one would never expect from a heavy smoker). Not suggesting you give green tea to your plants or anything...

---------------

Edit: Uhhh...lets be a little more politically correct Jason.  lol  
smile_n_32.gif

Alexis. You are correct about those chems in the smoke of American cigs. Over in Germany their cigs don't have all the crap in them. Atleast its not added lets put it that way. Purity law and such. Its ashame to what they add to stuff here. Any who. I ash in one plant in my GH if I smoke out there. Its doing fine. I don't ash in the orchids or CPs though jsut because they are up in sight. This plant is by the ground and bushy. LOL It also gets other ash dumped in it too.
smile_m_32.gif

Interesting responses all. I don't ash in my plants (I rarely even smoke ciggarettes anymore) but I was just thinking about it cos I was visiting my uncle and he still does that. He only grows one CP (my N. Ventrata came from him 6+ years ago) but has a house full of other stuff - mainly he's a philodendron phreak.

I have heard of people putting coffee grounds on their plants so Green tea wouldn't be too crazy of an idea. I just read a section in my lily book about making "manure tea" but I don't think that would go over well inside on houseplants!
smile_n_32.gif

Back