What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!!!!!

Hey all,
I need serious help because my VFT is starting to die. It seemed all fine when it came out of dormancy. Then a couple of weeks later, the leaves began turning yellow and the trap started to get effected by turning yellow and then black. And now the trap that produced fine are getting effected. I'm thinking of seperating the two plants since they are in the same pot since of the plant got the diease in the first place. What seems to be the problem?

Hello Hplants,
It sounds like you have a case of red spider mite. This is NOT an insect so an insecticide will be useless. I would look at the plant with a magnifying glass and you may see tiny creatures smaller than a pin prick moving very slowly over the surface of your VFT. If that is the case, then buy a spray that contains an acaricide such as bifenthrin. I had all my flytraps infested with them 2 years ago, 2 sprayings 8 to 10 days appart killed the spider mites off and the plants recovered within a month. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ESPECIALLY DO NOT SPRAY IN SUNLIGHT

I hope this helps you

Would seperating the plant or replanting the plant in different pot do anything?

if you have spider mites it wont help it all to replant. Actually it will only make it worse by adding more stress to the plant.
The plant can also aleady be in shock from being moved from one condition to another. When did you take it out of dormacy? Mine did the same thing they went thru about a week or so of looking pretty darn crappy.
Is it getting enough light?
One way or the other DONT replant it sounds like your plant is going thru enough and doesn't need extra stress.

oh and if it is spider mites just submerge the plant for a day or 2 that should drown the little suckers!
smile.gif

And if you decide to drown them, be sure to repeat it 7 days later for the next generation of hatchlings. I tried this with limited success as I had a total outbreak affecting 400 plants here, so I had to resort to acaricide. The spray did not harm the plants at all and within 1 month, all were restored to health

Back