What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
I know I have seen many threads about slime mold (cyano bacteria?), but does anyone know a method to eradicate this from some of my pygmy pots? Will flushing the pots constantly rid the soil of the excess nutrients? Will that hurt the plants? Will reducing the humidty have any affect (without hurting the plants)? Can this spread to other pots that share the same water tray (nutrients leaching from a rich pot into the water and being absorbed by other pots)?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Steve

scrape it off and put new dirt where it was.

You have excess nutrients and that causes it.

am i the only person that lets it run rampant? other than dealing with seedlings or tender plants i really dont care as it seems to eat all the extra nutriants and dies off.............decided it was more of an annoyance than an actual threat 90% of the time.........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 24 2006,10:38)]am i the only person that lets it run rampant? other than dealing with seedlings or tender plants i really dont care as it seems to eat all the extra nutriants and dies off.............decided it was more of an annoyance than an actual threat 90% of the time.........
Good to know, I had not thought of it using up the extra nutrients, that would explain Pyro's decription of it burning out eventually.
It is annoying, but I feel more comfrotable with its presence now - Thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]am i the only person that lets it run rampant? other than dealing with seedlings or tender plants i really dont care as it seems to eat all the extra nutriants and dies off.............decided it was more of an annoyance than an actual threat 90% of the time.........

Agreed. I only remove it when it's in seedling pots or when it threatens to overwhelm a plant. It is unsightly though....

Manually removing what you can, combined with more light and air circulation help. Some apply cinnamon or Cleary as well.

I agre with Rattler et al

I don't get rid of it usually unless a CP visitor is coming to see my plants- that's usually when I cut all the dead bits off my Neps too, "cleaning up" before company comes over
biggrin.gif

Back