What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with a VFT identification

• Thread starter woodbridge
  • Start date
Can anyone identify these VFT's. Any links to what they are or what they might be would be greatly appreciated.

VFT_01
attachment.php

VFT_02
attachment.php

Thanks

Very cool plant. The variegation is really striking on those plants. As for what exactly it is I'd say just a typical flytrap with variegation.

I'm not sure there are any existing cultivars with entirely variegated traps like that. How long has the trait remained stable?

Listed, but only one of those is actually registered as a cultivar, or even known to be stable; 'Blanche Hermine' is also quite distinct from true variegated plants like in this thread.

wow! how gorgeous looking with the white traps :love:

Thank you all for the input. Several years ago I noticed some VFT sprouts in one of my batches that were almost white. Those seeds were from my garden that has numerous VFTs in it....I do not have any of the 'Blanche Hermine' cultivar. The 'Blanche Hermine' item writeup describes some of the same issues I run into with these. These are the result of a few generations of linebreeding the survivors of the original batch. Not sure what the standard for stability is, but the germination rate is low, early mortality is high, and not all produce the desired results...but enuff to keep them going. I should be able to see what comes from these two in a few months. In VFT_02 photo you can see one of the sisters from the same batch that does not show the veriegation. And you can also see a difference in there structures...one compact and one lanky. I will be ok with that as long as the traps maintain the same coloration.

I think for stability you would need to raise the plant to maturity to ensure the trait remains since variegation can disappear as a plant matures, as well as propagate the plant vegetatively to ensure that the trait is transmissible that way, since it isn't always.

The issues you describe sound like general issues with variegated plants.

Back