What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help save cp's

I have a little update:

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=3237754&nav=2gQcYtyF

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Controversial landfill gets vote of confidence
April 20, 2005, 05:36 PM
Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

APRIL 20, 2005 -- There's a new vote of confidence for the proposed Hugo Neu recycling facility in Brunswick County.

The New York company wants to recycle shredded materials from automobiles, appliances and other items at a plant on Mount Misery Road in Navassa.

Opponents say the facility is a threat to the environment and would tower over nearby buildings, but the Greater Wilmington Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors has now passed a resolution backing Hugo Neu. The group says the company has a reputation for being a good corporate citizen with a constant commitment to improving the science and safety of recycling.

Staff Report

Another update.

Email from Gean Seay
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A call for help ~

We need your help in stopping the Navassa dump. Bonner Stiller had sponsored a bill to de-annex the property which would stop the project in its tracks. It has made it through the Environmental Committee and is headed to the Rules Committee. Mr. Stiller needs to show support for his bill.

Please contact by phone or e-mail these three legislators by Friday if at all possible. They will be voting on June 2nd and may be away this holiday weekend.

1) Representative Bill Culpepper Ph. 919-715-3208 Billc@ncleg.net

2) Representative Bonner Stiller Bonners@ncleg.net

3) Tom Wright TomW@ncleg.net

Here is the email I sent. You can edit the text however you choose. The important thing is to send an email to these legislators or call them:

We ask you to please support Bill H-939, sponsored by Representative Stiller on
de-annexation of a proposed landfill site in the Cape Fear Lowlands by the Town of Navassa. The land was satellite annexed without the knowledge or regard of the surrounding residents it would affect. In addition to contributing to making North Carolina the 4th leading state in importation of solid waste, this 350-foot high landfill will be a detriment to the environment, health, and economy of counties in the Lower Cape Fear area.

Though termed a recycling facility, the estimated 10% recycled will be more than offset by the 90% left to sit on this site in an area known as the Cape Fear Lowlands. 300 million cubic yards a year of toxic-coated material piled on a thin sheet of plastic, material known for fires and groundwater contamination. Help keep imported waste out of North Carolina.

Thanks for your help.

Gean M. Seay
223 Benson Road NE
Leland, NC 28451
(910) 253-8690

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Some of you are not from Brunswick County -- it doesn't matter. This is going to impact the entire area. At 4:30, Mr. Wainwright had received 300 e-mails (50 in the last 30 minutes). He needs some more, please lend a hand.

Thanks,

Gean

NAVASSA LAND DE-ANNEXATION HEARING CANCELLED

Dear Brunswick County Constituents,

Representative Wainwright serves as one of the chairs of the Finance Committee where the Hugo Neu De-annexation bill is located. All of the House Finance Chairs agreed to hear the bill on June 7 at 8:30 except Rep. Wainwright thus blocking the bill from a fair hearing. Rep. Wainwright's decision centers on race. He does not want a predominately black community to lose their opportunity for Hugo Neu to locate a 350 foot high landfill in their back yard. Wainright is under the impression that the black community wants the dump placed in their neighborhood and he wants to protect their desires.

I have spoke with Rep. Wainwright in his office on Wednesday and three times on the House floor Wednesday night and Thursday morning assuring him of the following:

1. The black community is very concerned about this 350 foot high

landfill from an ecological standpoint as well as a health standpoint and the devaluation of their property.

2. Over 70,000 citizens live in Brunswick County and only a handful appear to want this massive landfill placed in Brunswick County. Is this fair and good government?

3. Why should the representative for Craven County citizens involve himself in the lives of 70,000 plus citizens in Brunswick County? Maybe he should invite Hugo Neu to come to Craven County. I'm sure he could find a lovely spot for them in his back yard.

Please contact Representative Wainright at williamw@ncleg.net or by phone at 919-733-5995 (office) or 212-447-7379 (home) since he would like to be involved in Brunswick County legislative matters and express your opinions and concerns.

Sincerely,

Rep. Bonner Stiller

Newspaper article.
http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps....itorial

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sen. Soles' face on Mt. Fluffmore?
The N.C. General Assembly will be to blame if a mountain of "auto fluff" rises in Brunswick County. Much of that blame might belong to Sen. R.C. Soles.

Mr. Soles is refusing to support Rep. Bonner Stiller's bill that would make amends for the legislature's part in a 2003 maneuver that allowed Navassa to annex land about two miles away and rezone it for heavy industry so that a New York company could pile up – and pile up and pile up – the shredded remains of automobiles.

The landfill eventually might tower higher than the Murchison Building and be visible from downtown Wilmington.

Mr. Stiller, a Brunswick County Republican, notes that all the County Commissioners, not to mention a raft of residents, oppose the landfill. He wants the legislature to take the landfill site away from Navassa. Then the county could block the project.

But Mr. Soles, a Democrat, says he's trying to keep an open mind. Maybe that's easier because he lives in Columbus County and wouldn't have a view of the "fluff" pile.

That's also true for Rep. William Wainwright, a Democrat who lives in Craven County. Maybe that's why he delayed a hearing on Mr. Stiller's bill, which had been scheduled for Tuesday.

Some landfill supporters argue that it would provide 40-plus jobs for poor black people. But in booming Brunswick, other jobs – better jobs – are available. Anyway, the landfill's opponents include black people who'd rather not live near it.

This isn't an issue of race. Nor is it one of fighting off a villainous company; Hugo Neu seems to be a responsible outfit trying to do something that needs to be done.

This is, rather, an issue of whether hundreds of acres in a growing county should disappear under a landfill – one that could dominate the skyline and might eventually threaten human health or the environment.

The answer is obvious to most Brunswick residents. The question is whether Sen. Soles intends to represent them, or the company that wants to dump on them.

Please everybody write a quick email to Mr. Wainwright and let him know that this is fair. We need to have this hearing.

Sent to all.

Thanks for the update.

Didn't the vote happen yesterday (June 2nd)?

No the congressman from Craven county blocked it.

and... is that GOOD or BAD?

I haven't had time to study this issue because I'm moving, but here's the way I understand it.

The town of Navassa annexed a the property that the landfill will be built so that they will have control over the land and collect tax money from Hugo Neu. The only people that wants this landfill is the town of navassa, because of the tax money that they'll collect. The site in question has been reported to be a VFT site. It's also near the Cape Fear river, so there are many nature concerns.
The two congressmen that represent Brunswick county have opposed the landfill. One of them got a bill before the state that would make it illegal for Navassa to annex the land, and control of it would go back to the county.
Con. wainwright used his power as head of a committee to block the bill.
Apparently awhile back the Con. Stiller (the one that wrote the bill) wrote another bill that would have restricted commercial menhaden fishing off the NC coast. Con.Wainwright is the congressman of Craven county and has a menhaden processing plant. To me it looks like this is a revenge move for that.

So Finch, this is bad.

Navassa cant possibly expect to get this done because the effects will not just be in their town, it will be all over the regon. So if he blocked it, its not the same as killing it outright, because cause if its blocked its not dead, it just hant gon to.... im confused

Im mean, blocked as in filibuster blocked? i dont recall any one congresmen in the senate being able to block things indefinatly, does that mean he cant either?

I signed it
smile.gif
~Niki~

This should explain the situation better than I can.

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=3427433&nav=2gQcachb

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]JUNE 3, 2005 -- Opponents of a proposed landfill in Navassa suffered a blow Thursday. Legislation that would have given Brunswick County control over the land was blocked.

A bill filed by State Representative Bonner Stiller would have transferred control of the proposed landfill site from the town of Navassa to Brunswick County. It's a move, some say, would have put the landfill in jeopardy.

The bill won't be heard before the House or Senate. It was blocked Thursday by Representative William Wainwright of Craven County.

Stiller was unavailable for comment, but in an email he wrote "Representative Wainwright's decision centers on race. He does not want a predominately black community to lose their opportunity for Hugo Neu to locate a 350 foot high landfill in their backyard."

Navassa is a predominately black community and there are residents who would welcome the jobs. Local resident Leonard Jenkins is not one of them. He says it's not about race at all. He's opposed to the project for environmental reasons and says Wainwright is uninformed.

"He hasn't even come to see the people. If he thinks it's a black white issue, he needs to come and see what the other side has to say," says Jenkins.

Stiller is encouraging landfill opponents to contact Wainwright. In his email Stiller also wrote, "Why would the representative for Craven County citizens involve himself in the lives of citizens in Brunswick County? Maybe he should invite Hugo Neu to Craven County. I'm sure he could find a lovely spot for them in his backyard."

Reported by Justin Smith

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps....6030301

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sen. Soles' face on Mt. Fluffmore?
The N.C. General Assembly will be to blame if a mountain of "auto fluff" rises in Brunswick County. Much of that blame might belong to Sen. R.C. Soles.

Mr. Soles is refusing to support Rep. Bonner Stiller's bill that would make amends for the legislature's part in a 2003 maneuver that allowed Navassa to annex land about two miles away and rezone it for heavy industry so that a New York company could pile up – and pile up and pile up – the shredded remains of automobiles.

The landfill eventually might tower higher than the Murchison Building and be visible from downtown Wilmington.

Mr. Stiller, a Brunswick County Republican, notes that all the County Commissioners, not to mention a raft of residents, oppose the landfill. He wants the legislature to take the landfill site away from Navassa. Then the county could block the project.

But Mr. Soles, a Democrat, says he's trying to keep an open mind. Maybe that's easier because he lives in Columbus County and wouldn't have a view of the "fluff" pile.

That's also true for Rep. William Wainwright, a Democrat who lives in Craven County. Maybe that's why he delayed a hearing on Mr. Stiller's bill, which had been scheduled for Tuesday.

Some landfill supporters argue that it would provide 40-plus jobs for poor black people. But in booming Brunswick, other jobs – better jobs – are available. Anyway, the landfill's opponents include black people who'd rather not live near it.

This isn't an issue of race. Nor is it one of fighting off a villainous company; Hugo Neu seems to be a responsible outfit trying to do something that needs to be done.

This is, rather, an issue of whether hundreds of acres in a growing county should disappear under a landfill – one that could dominate the skyline and might eventually threaten human health or the environment.

The answer is obvious to most Brunswick residents. The question is whether Sen. Soles intends to represent them, or the company that wants to dump on them.

Signed

iv never heard of a petition stopping things like this.

what do you mean? i sign stuff like that all the time and i protest with my friends once in awhile

I got an email that pointed me to this news story from California. I think this will say it all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

Firehouse.com Home > News Headlines
Scrap Metal Fire Burns Overnight
Nearby Residents Complain Of Sickening Fumes

POSTED: 7:02 a.m. PDT May 24, 2005
UPDATED: 7:35 a.m. PDT May 24, 2005

Story by nbc4.tv

TERMINAL ISLAND, Calif. -- LA City firefighters got the upper hand Tuesday morning on a huge scrap metal plant fire more than six hours after it started.

Video: Scrap Metal Fire

NBC4's Robert Kovacik reported from a scene near 901 New Dock Street, on Terminal Island, where firefighters had been battling the blaze all night at what he described as the nation's largest scrap metal facility. A company Web site for the plant identifies it as "Hugo Neu-Proler, the nation's largest processor, recycler and exporter of high-grade steel scrap."

The fire started shortly after 11:30 p.m. on Monday.

Nearby residents in Wilmington and Hermosa Beach said the fumes from the fire were nauseating, but Kovacik said no serious injuries were reported. Longshoreman Carlos Ramirez told Kovacik that the fumes smelled like battery acid at about 1 a.m., and he told his mother, who suffers from asthma, to close up her home.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

4524045_320X240.jpg

If you want to look at all the pics.pics

Here's the video.

video

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 20 2004,1:09)]Ozzy said he would give me his AK if i signed... hand it over stimpy!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Nah, i dont need an ak to get me to sign... I signed on me own!
smile_m_32.gif

Best of luck! hope you get all 5000 sigs
confused.gif
AK?

Ozzy I don't see how your news story from Ca relates.

Oh! I did some searching and Ozzy has an AK-47. Why would anyone need one of those!?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ June 05 2005,2:11)]Ozzy I don't see how your news story from Ca relates.
It relates because it's the same type of landfill owned by the same company.
The fumes caused people to get sick.
It reltes because it's just a preview of what can happen with the landfill in Bruswick county.

I have an Ak because I like to shoot guns.

Back