What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help picking out a greenhouse

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
My fellow growers,
I am thinking of getting a small greenhouse to house a small part of my collection. This is not be a tropical greenhouse. It will house some of my prized sarrs, cephs, sundews and whatnot. Tropical plants will come back indoors for the winter. I am hoping to keep the climate control minimal. For cooling I will add a fan or remove panels, heating most likely will be nonexistent. It will also be setup in an area shaded by trees in the afternoon with full morning sun.

Since this is a bare bones setup in am debating on getting a harbor freight greenhouse, or one of those tent like grow houses( link below)
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Garden-Treasures-8-ft-L-x-6-ft-W-x-7-ft-H-Metal-Greenhouse/4363247

For those with experience which would be the better choice? And if my thinking is off, please steer me in the right direction.

If I didn't life in a city I would build a Walipini then your heating and cooling would be taken care of just my thought

Ive had both the plastic tents and the HF GHs. If those are your only options then HF for sure but you'll need to make a few mods so your panels don't just blow away. Just throw the bag of pins away that are supposed to hold them in place and get some nuts, bolts and rubber washers and secure them with those. Mods can get expensive.

Honestly if I had to do it over again id put up a hoophouse.

I'm no expert...but I was looking into one of these. https://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/BIO-start-greenhouses.htm

I'll check them out

Ive had both the plastic tents and the HF GHs. If those are your only options then HF for sure but you'll need to make a few mods so your panels don't just blow away. Just throw the bag of pins away that are supposed to hold them in place and get some nuts, bolts and rubber washers and secure them with those. Mods can get expensive.

Honestly if I had to do it over again id put up a hoophouse.

I wouldn't mind a hoop house. Do you know of any kits that are relatively inexpensive?

If I didn't life in a city I would build a Walipini then your heating and cooling would be taken care of just my thought

I've pondered this idea a thousand times. Didn't know it actually existed! Can't believe people have built these before. I have the land to do it but setting up the walls would seem like a huge expense. I'll have to give it more thought.

It's pure genius.....

Ya I want one I think digging would be the biggest problem

That slop the dirt for walls I don't even think they use bricks my be adobe

Back