What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Nepenthes Temperature drop problems?

• Thread starter Gregbey
  • Start date
Hey so i am growing some nepenthes i was told that all of them are intermediates and dont need a temperature drop. It was getting too cood on my windowsill so i moved them to the bathroom but it stays are 74 degrees at all times basically with humidity at 60% minimum. My question is do these plants need a temperature dropb at night my plants are.
N gaya
N vent/inermis
N maxima
N alata
N [(lowii x veitchii) x boschiana]-yellow x platychila
N
(Rokko x boschiana) x veitchii
N Bill Bailey
Can these survive and be fine without temperature drops? Please and thank you.
HAPPY NEW YEARS TO EVERYONE ASWELL..

All Nepenthes will be happier with a night time drop of 10° or so, but none of those require any particular temperature other than not too hot and not too cold. 74 in the day and 65-70 at night would be better, but constant 74 probably won't affect them too much.

All Nepenthes will be happier with a night time drop of 10° or so, but none of those require any particular temperature other than not too hot and not too cold. 74 in the day and 65-70 at night would be better, but constant 74 probably won't affect them too much.
Yeah ive been trying to cool them down but nothing works to move them to where my ac is would be extremely problematic i live in a studio in nyc so im probably going to get a swamp cooler at some point..

Even lowland Nepenthes expect some temperature drop at night, as it helps maintain the processes they need functioning at different times of day through their circadian rhythm. If they don't get one at all, you may see the plants that are more tolerant doing okay because they can manage that stressor, but they will never thrive best they can.

All look to be pretty sturdy/tolerant varieties, I wouldn't worry about it too much! Ditto what other posters said about benefits of the temperature differential, definitely worth figuring out a solution for that if you're looking to grow more finicky varieties or trying to maximize growth.

Thank yall i mean i am almost definitely going to get a swamp cooler within the next month or 2 just to maximize growth but i dont think ill be adding anything crazy as much as i would love to have a inermis or full size lowii i live in a studio apartment in nyc i only started growing in june of 2021 with a Vft 2sarracenia and a N alata.. gonna give away the vfts probably since i had to put up a fight for my building to let me keep them and my sarracenia purps in the backyard for dormancy (only 5 plants). I like nepenthes more personally. I recently also got some cephs that are a fuss free ceph clone called western venom that i love and are growing like weeds aswell so im just sticking with what i got (hopefully cause i can't seem to stop myself lol) thank you all.

Also was thinking about getting a seedling mat or 2 and keeping it on a timer so that i could bring up the temperature during the day and then let it go down at night give them at least a q0 degree drop using that and then keeping the room more cold as well? Cause i sometimes manage to get it down to 70 with cold water in my humidifier and the fan but thats been more rare to accomplish..

You have been bitten by the bug plants. :love:
Yeah except my bite got infected and became contagious to the point that my 71 year old mother in Florida had me get her a vft from Wal-Mart and "set it up" when i was down there lol, also got a nepenthes from home Depot down there with 3 growth points things huge and i managed to bring it on the plane with me like a champ lol

Also figured to best way to solve this for now was that i got a seedling mat with a temp control and i can bring the temp up during the day and at night it will fall to normal.. problem solved i hope?

Back