What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! My captive mantis laid eggs!

That is sooooooo coool

Great to hear that she produced some ooths for ya!

nice mantis !!!! i cought one today also,,,

I really want one. Where do they live? Are they ok to catch?

That's very neat, Cindy! Looks like you're doing a great job at raising them :-D

Hi everyone,

The lady I held captive since 4 June has laid my 5 ooths so far. :boogie:

The first nymphs are into their 2nd instar and are looking more green. The second batch just hatched a couple of days ago. Ooth Number 3 is now at a cooler place so that the babies don't hatch so soon. Ooths Number 4 and Number 5 are on their way to an avid mantis grower.

It's been fun so far but I am having a hard time looking for food for them. Crickets are too big and only the adults can handle a mealworm. I live in a highrise building and there are no flies...not even fruit flies. The banana peel is probably going to turn mouldy without even attracting a single insect. I have resorted to catching those minature moths in the washroom...my own, that is! :-))

Wow, that's amazing! And with such a nice-looking mantis too. I can't wait until later this summer, when all the local mantids get wings and can fly into our really bright pool. Its an easy collecting method.:banana2:

Right now, I imagine that they're in their 3rd and 4th instars, because I found a few in the nearby mountains that were in their 1st and 2nd instars a few weeks ago. So tiny, too.

Anyway, hope they're being really great pets for ya!:-D

Back