What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me pick

So I'm gonna buy a couple of plants from a friend here and I have to decide.
I've already decided for a truncata
but I have to decide between:
N. jamban vs N. talangensis
and
N. ventricosa vs N. hookeriana

Choose and help me choose!

You have conditions set up for all these right? N. jamban and talangensis like conditions very different from the other mentioned species...that said, jamban will likely be much easier than talangensis (a notoriously picky plant for many), and ventricosa is bomb-proof while hookeriana, if you have good lowland conditions, is vey fast, big and tubby.

If you like pitchers on your nepenthes I wouldn't recommend talangensis.

As hcarlton wrote so you have mixed highlands or lowlands, so you're gonna need two different growing conditions for them (you wanted the grow them outside, right?)

In my experience N. Jamban is easier than N. Talangensis when proper HL conditions are given. Both N. Ventricosa and Hookeriana are quite easy neps and Hookeriana is like a weed in LL or even intermediate conditions.

Sorry, I didn't say so but yes, I have a lowland terrarium and a highland grow chamber for the summer months so I can grow both high and lowland species.
Ok so Jamban it is!
And about hook and ventri, which one do you like the most?

And about hook and ventri, which one do you like the most?

which one do you like the most? personally I like all the different varieties of ventricosa vs. hookeriana. I grow a few different ventricosas. If you have to room, its always nice to grow several varieties of the same species.

Last edited:
Both are good for tubbiness, ventricosa is good for getting really red or cream-colored pitchers (depending on the clone) and hookeriana...well, really depends on what plant is offered. They come in every color combination imaginable, just like the two parent species. The former stays smaller vine-wise, but can have big pitchers, the latter eventually can get very large, vine and pitcher concerning.

Back